About Us

Engineering Takes First in Paper Vehicle Contest

Engineering takes First in Paper Vehicle Contest

The Green River chapter of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers took first place in presentation and won the "Most Innovative Design Award" in the April 28 Intercollegiate Human Powered Paper Vehicle Competition held at Eastern Washington University. The team also placed third place in the competition's racing speed category.

Students David Schiff, Ian Smith, Jordan Smith and Nick Outlaw created the bicycle, which was required to be 90 percent paper products by its weight. Event rules state that the "remaining 10 percent is limited only by the imagination of the designers."

The ASME club has participated since the event's inception in 2005, and has won "numerous times in every category" according to the club's advisor and Engineering faculty member Jeff McCauley.

"We have found that this engineering competition inspires students, challenges their engineering skill and creativity and provides a format that limits the amount of money needed to field a competitive team," McCauley said. "This project helps develop student excellence in teamwork, communication and creative problem solving."

Eastern Washington University hosts the paper vehicle contest each year. Engineering clubs from Washington, Oregon and Idaho field teams. This year's participants included students from Eastern, Washington State University and Highline and Spokane Falls community colleges.