Automotive Technology (ATECH)
Green River College's certified Automotive Technology program is a hands-on, self-paced program that can be completed in six quarters. Placement of graduates is excellent, with a variety of opportunities available with local businesses.
Automotive technicians are specialists in automotive service and repair. Green River College offers a two-year Associate in Applied Science degree program to prepare automotive technicians for employment.
As an automotive technician, you can work for:
- Armed forces
- Auto repair shops
- Automotive dealerships
- Governmental agencies
- Insurance companies
- Service stations
- Specialty shops
- Tire companies
- Trucking companies
In addition to working as an automotive technician, you may find work as a/an:
- Automotive machinist
- Customer service representative
- Insurance adjuster
- Parts clerk or manager
- Service manager
- Service station operator
- Service writer
- Shop foreman
- Vehicle salesperson
You may enroll in the Automotive Technology program at Green River any time during the quarter as space is available and with the instructor’s permission. The program is set up on a modular basis and is self-paced.
Complete an application to Green River College, complete the COMPASS assessment, and meet with an advisor.
You must demonstrate college-level reading skills as measured by the current Green River placement test.
New students must show proof of a valid driver's license.
It depends on you. If you attend Green River full time, the Associate in Applied Science degree can be completed in six quarters. If you attend part time, completion will depend on how many credits per quarter you earn.
Students are required to purchase safety equipment and a tool set. The tool set is required for second-year students and costs $1,400 to $2,200
Automotive technicians must have good upper body strength (ability to lift up to 70 pounds). They should be able to deal with repetitive tasks. Automotive technicians must have good interpersonal skills.
In general, Automotive Technology classes are not designed to transfer.
Here’s what Green River’s Automotive Technology program will let you do:
- Learn through hands-on experience, while working at your own pace.
- Develop the competencies set forth by the National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF) and the National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) in an ASE-certified training program.
- Earn credit for training you’ve already received in high school, through articulation agreements.
- Have opportunities to learn skills and business techniques necessary to become self-employed, a shop foreman, or to work in a lead position in a shop
- Have opportunities for Cooperative Education, which is an excellent way to find a great job
The placement rate for the Automotive Technology program is excellent, with many opportunities for both men and women.
The starting salary range for an automotive technician is $10 to $18 per hour.
For course descriptions, please see the college catalog.