Medical Office Administration

As a Medical Office Administration graduate, you will have the opportunity to work in a wide variety of positions in a medical office, hospital and other medical facility. Positions include such job duties as medical front office reception, patient registration and scheduling, medical coding and insurance and patient billing.

Faculty advising

Students who are pursuing the Medical Office Administration degree are assigned faculty advisors as follows:

Areas of employment

  • Doctors’ offices
  • Hospitals
  • Insurance offices
  • Medical clinics
  • Military health services
  • Secretarial services
  • Medical research centers

When can new students enroll?

You may enroll in the Medical Office Education program at the beginning of any quarter. The program hours are flexible with day, some evening, and online classes.


Complete an application to Green River College, complete the COMPASS assessment, spelling test and meet with an advisor.

A GED® or high school diploma is highly recommended before entering the program. Communication (written and verbal) and organizational skills are vital.

How long does the program take?

It depends on you. If you successfully complete a full schedule each quarter, the Associates in Applied Arts Degree requirements may be completed in six quarters.

Special fees

Courses requiring special equipment have additional fees.

Personal requirements for success

Medical Office Education graduates need to be task-oriented and flexible.

Special program notes

Green River’s Medical Office Administration program offers you:

  • A hands-on learning experience.
  • Possible credit for relevant prior experience.
  • Possible credit through Tech Prep articulation agreements.
  • An internship opportunity.
  • An update of your existing office skills.
  • An opportunity to begin a career in the medical field.

Does the program transfer to four-year schools?

Classes in this program are primarily career and technical in nature. All transferability of classes to four-year institutions is at the discretion of the receiving institution. Students should contact an advisor at the college to which they intend to transfer.

Employment outlook/salary range

The Career Development and Employment Services Center can assist you with your job search.