Kent Student Affairs and Resources
Green River Student Affairs and Resources is fully committed to seeing students excel both academically and socially. Although education is our primary focus, we believe students grow and develop by challenging themselves. This is accomplished not only through academics, but also through college programs, activities and other co-curricular experiences.
The Kent Campus offers:
- Compass Assessment Testing
- Proctored testing services for Green River students
- Proctored testing services for student from other colleges
Testing at the Kent Campus is done by appointment only during our business hours. Please call in advance to check for availability.
The Compass Assessment Test
The Compass is a computerized assessment given to all new students. The purpose of having our students take the Compass test is to ensure that they begin college taking classes that are appropriate for their academic skill level. This is not a test that is passed or failed - it simply evaluates abilities and give students a place to start their education!
Tips, Suggestions, and More:
- Familiarize yourself with the format of the Compass assessment by going online and try some sample questions.
- There are also multiple copies of the book "Chart your success on the Compass test" available for check out in the Holman Library. The call number is 378.1662 C734c 2006
Before you make your appointment to take the Compass, be sure you have completed the following:
- Fill out an application for admission online.
- Bring your Student ID number (SID) and a picture ID to the front desk of Kent Campus - we do our testing behind the counter.
- Pay the $20 Compass testing fee -(retakes are $10 a section, never more than $20).
- Take the Compass test- this assessment is not timed but allow around 1.5 to 2 hours for test taking.
- Receive your scores -upon completion of the Compass one of our front desk staff will be happy to review your scores with you and explain your placement in core reading, writing, and math classes. Then we will sign you up to meet with an advisor to further review these scores and learn how to register for classes.
Note: We do provide basic calculators. You may also bring your own calculator as long as it meets ACT guidelines.
Reassessment: If you think your Compass placement scores do not accurately reflect your academic ability, you may retake the Compass test. Reading and writing retakes are limited to once per calendar quarter (Jan-Mar, April-June, July-Sept, Oct-Dec). There is no limit on math retakes. You will be required to pay a retake fee of $10 per section pr $20 maximum.
Proctored Testing for Green River students
The Advisers at the Kent Campus offer career and education planning resources for current and prospective students, alumni and community members. We look forward to meeting you in person.
Types of advising available at Kent Campus:
- Educational Planning for Credit Students - advisor Tina Christian
- Career and Strong Interest Inventory Workshops - advisor Tina Christian
- Workforce Education advising - Mondays Sandra Davidson, Thursdays Shobha Raman
- GED and ESOL - Tuesdays Ruth Martin, Wednesdays Zulfyia Kadimova
Contact us to make an appointment with one of the above advisors:
If you need assistance, please call the number shown below.
(253) 856-9595, ext. 5000
You can contact Kent Campus through email to ask your questions or request an appointment with our advisors.
Come see us on the Kent Campus - please check-in at our Front Desk.
417 Ramsay Way, Ste 112
Kent, WA 98032
There is no library available on Kent Campus. However, we are located just across the street from the King County Kent Public Library and have access to many of the services available from the Holman Library on the main campus.
If you need a book from the Holman Library, requested materials can be delivered to Kent Campus and picked up at the front desk (staff is happy to help you should you have any questions about this process).
Check out the website for the Holman Library on main campus to see all the services you can access online!
Money for College
Paying for college is a challenge for most students. We can help! Green River provides the following funding options to help eligible students with their college expenses.
Start the Process Today!
If you have questions about these programs or need help filling out the forms, call us today. We want to help you get the money you need to pay for your college education.
The College bookstore, the Paper Tree,provides book sales for classes held on Kent Campus during the four days of each academic quarter except Summer quarter, during which they are only on Kent Campus for two days. Be sure to check with the front desk staff - hours and days may vary from quarter to quarter.
You can also order your books from the Paper Tree online bookstore. Book Buy-Back is available only on Main Campus in Auburn during the week of finals.
Tutoring and Resource Center
The Kent Campus offers free tutoring to currently enrolled Green River College students! No appointment necessary, just drop in during scheduled tutoring hours! Watch for the schedule to be posted on campus.