General Policies for Students, Faculty and Staff
Student Acceptable Computer Use Policy
Purpose: This policy governs the use of all technology and computer resources at Green River College including college computers, college email, internet access, and use of the college network by either college-owned computers or personal computers. Use of the college's technology and computer resources signifies agreement to abide by this policy. Read the policy
All students, staff, faculty and community members may be able to check out library materials with proper ID. For students, staff, and faculty your library card is your student or employee ID card. For other borrowers, an official ID is required. Books, CDs, DVDs, microfiche and copies of periodical articles may be borrowed.
Please refer to the Laptop Checkout Policy for terms, conditions and student responsibilities.
Children in the Library
- Children under the age of 16 are allowed in the library while they are being directly supervised by the adult responsible for them.
- Children are expected to adhere to the same use policies as adult patrons.
- Due to safety/liability reasons, if a child is left unsupervised and the librarian is unable to easily locate his/her guardian, the Safety Office will be called (ext. 3350).
- If a child wishes to check out library materials, a parent or guardian with a student ID, staff ID, or a community borrower card may check out the items for the child. They will be responsible for the return of the checked out items and fines and fees if applicable.
- The Library Collections page contains descriptions of the scope of the Holman Library Collection (both hardcopy and digital formats) as well as selection and weeding guidelines
Holman Library does not accept gifts of books, periodicals, CDs, DVDs or other materials at this time. Monetary gifts may be made through the Green River College Foundation.
Monetary gifts may include restrictions, providing they are pre-approved by the Director of Library and Media Services. Please indicate your gift is for Holman Library.
Group Study Room Use
The first priority use of the Group Study rooms on the second floor is for groups to work on academic study or presentations. Individuals using the Group Study rooms may be asked to move if a group needs to use the space.
White board markers are available for student checkout for use in the Group Study rooms with a student ID card at the Student Help Desk on the second floor.
Group Study rooms are occupied on a first-come, first-use basis; Holman Library does not accept reservations for the upstairs Group Study rooms.
Information Commons Guidelines
The primary purpose of the Information Commons in Holman Library is to provide a learning environment with open access to information, research assistance and a study space for all Green River students, faculty and staff.
While in the library, please:
- ask for research and computer help at the reference desk
- eat food outside the library (covered drinks are O.K.)
- keep noise levels reasonable for a learning environment and keep quiet in silent study areas
- keep valuables near you
- use computers only for school work during busy times between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- do not download video games to the Green River computer network
We appreciate your respect of common sense guidelines for academic behavior, courtesy, and the responsibilities and rights in the Green River Code of Student Conduct. Thank you!
Room HL112 Use
HL 112 is equipped for media and teleconferences.
Equipment: Teleconferencing setup, DVD/VHS player, plasma TV with a cable for connection to a laptop and a computer on the instructional network requiring an instructional login. The computer can also be hooked up to the plasma TV.
First priority: ITV / K-20 events.
Teleconferences are scheduled by Media Services only.
Second priority: Student group viewing of media, or group practice of presentations
Student groups of 3 or more may schedule the use of HL 112. Students may reserve use of HL 112 at the Circulation Desk. Faculty members can schedule the room on behalf of students
Third priority: Staff meetings/conference room
Room HL213 & HL217 Use
As an extension of the library's Information Commons, HL 213 and HL 217 are available for library instruction and individual student use. Library instruction is provided by a librarian or other faculty member in collaboration with a librarian. All instructional activities must be scheduled through a librarian.
The first priority for the use of HL 213 or HL 217 is instruction in the use of library databases and internet resources for research and general information retrieval.
The second priority, particularly when there are no seats available in the main Information Commons, is individual student use of library databases, Microsoft Office applications, and internet resources.
Other instructional activities in HL 213 or HL 217 may be scheduled on an occasional basis but will not take precedence over priorities 1 and 2. Because of high demand for the resources available in the main Information Commons, HL 213 and HL 217 are usually available for individual student use between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.