Pre-College & Basic Skills
General Education Development (GED®)
Green River offers General Educational Development preparation classes to help you successfully pass the GED® exam. GED® classes are $25 per quarter, and are offered on and off campus during the day and in the evening.
If you are 16 or 17 you will need to provide a "Release of Student" form from your high school before you can attend GED® classes at Green River. No one under 16 years old may attend these classes.
How to Prepare
GED® Test preparation courses
Classes are offered for people who want to master the skills required in reading, writing, math, science and social studies to pass the GED® exam.
- Classes are held on our main campus and other off-campus locations.
- Students between 16 and 19 years old must get a Release of Student form from their high school before they can register for these classes.
- There is a $25 tuition fee for ABE/GED® classes. Tuition waivers are available for those who qualify.
To enroll in GED® preparation courses you will need to take the CASAS assessment which takes approximately 2 1/2 hours.
How to Test
For more information on the registering for and scheduling testing, including time allotments, costs, and hours please visit the www.greenriver.edu/testing GED® Testing tab.
Test Preparation Resources
Getting started with Adult Basic Education Classes is as simple as 1 - 2 - 3!
Step One: Apply for admissions.
Student will receive a Student ID number once they have applied for admissions. Students can submit an application online at www.greenriver.edu/applynow. There is a $20.00 application fee.
*Students who are 16-18 years old must have a SBCTC release form (usually it is a yellow or green form). The title of the form is "Request for Approval to Test General Educational Development (GED) Certificate." The form can be obtained from the high school or school district in which the student resides. The release form is not required for students 19 or older.
Step Two: Take the ABE CASAS
New ABE students will need to take an assessment called the ABE CASAS. Students can do this at the Basic Skills Office in RLC 125. If you have taken ABE classes or the CASAS in the past six months, please tell us because you may not need to retake the CASAS. Here are some things to know about the CASAS:
- Bring a photo ID and Student ID number.
- Students cannot fail the CASAS; it just shows us a student's current level of skills.
- The CASAS can take up to 2.5 hours.
- The CASAS is free.
- Students can start testing May 18, 2015
- Monday and Tuesday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Wednesday and Thursday: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- No CASAS Testing on June 9, 10, 11, 12, 15 due to ESOL Registration/CASAS.
- This schedule is subject to change. Please call to confirm testing availability.
Step Three: Complete Registration
- ABE classes cost $25.00 per quarter.
- Tuition waivers are available for those who qualify
- Students are ready to start class!