Welcome to the Running Start program at Green River College. Running Start is an exciting and nationally recognized option that allows qualified high school juniors and seniors to enroll in college courses tuition-free. Credits earned at Green River College are transferable to most four-year colleges and universities, and can satisfy high school graduation requirements. Students may enroll simultaneously in high school and college classes or exclusively in college classes.
If you would like to learn more about Running Start, you may attend an Info Session to learn more about eligibility, enrollment, and program benefits. Please click the button below to sign up for an Info Session.
Below are forms commonly used by Running Start students.
- Running Start Enrollment Verification Form (EVF): This form must be completed with your counselor each quarter and submitted to the Running Start office in order to register for classes. Please submit it at least two weeks prior to your registration time. The form must be completed fully, including Parent or guardian signature, even if you are 18 years old.
- Fee Waiver and Book Loan Application: Running Start students may apply to have their student-voted fees waived and to borrow required textbooks if they meet specific eligibility criteria stated on the form. Applications must be submitted no later than the Friday before the quarter starts in the Running Start Office. Students only need to apply once and cannot retroactively apply to fees owed from previous quarters. Students are still responsible for paying individual class fees. Textbooks are not guaranteed and available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Release of Information Form: Running Start students have rights which protect the privacy of their educational records. All student educational records are maintained according to the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). Only directory information can be released without your authorization. You may complete and submit a Release of Information form to the Running Start office to allow Running Start staff permission to discuss your records with parent(s) or guardian(s) or other designated persons.
- High School Release Form: This form must be completed by Running Start students who wish to enroll in classes during summer quarter, as Running Start does not cover summer.
- Transcript Evaluation Request Form: Students must complete this form if they have college credit from another college, AP or IB test scores, or other credit along with your official transcript or scores to Enrollment Services if they wish to receieve credit at Green River.
- Academic standards forms: If you did not meet academic status in Running Start, you must complete and return the Self-Assessment, in addition to the Alert Success Plan OR the Probation Success Plan. If you are unsure which form to complete, please refer to the email sent to your student email or call the Running Start Office.
Other College forms can be found on Enrollment Services's website.
Meet the Staff
The Running Start staff are dedicated to supporting Running Start students' education at Green River College. Students can seek advising for course placement, educational planning, transfer planning and other needs. We offer support through various formats and programs such as orientations, appointments, workshops, email and social media.
Debbie Lynes (Educational Planner; last names A-L)
In her experience working at Green River, Debbie genuinely values the opportunity to help students recognize their potential, overcome obstacles and see their visions of the future become reality. As a mother of two Running Start graduates, she appreciates the benefits the program offers and enjoys working with high school students.
Chase Magliocca (Educational Planner; last names M-Z)
Chase obtained his M.Ed. from the University of Washington in Educational Leadership and his BA in Psychology from Western Washington University. He enjoys meeting and working with students from all walks of life. As a first-generation college student himself, he is committed to increasing access to higher education for all students. He has traveled to several countries in South America and Asia and loves to talk about travel.
Dana McCauley (Program Coordinator)
Dana is the Program Coordinator for Running Start.
Lindsey Morris (Director of Running Start & College in the High School)
Lindsey has worked at Green River since 2007 in various positions. She started as a CLEO student, then continued working part-time while she completed her bachelors degree. From her experience in outreach, she developed a passion for student access and helping students succeed. She is also the mother of two adorable children who keep her busy!
Hours of Operation
If you have any questions about Running Start or would like to schedule an appointment to meet with an Educational Planner please do not hesitate to contact us!