Running Start

Current Students

Winter registration opens November 8, but you can check your registration access time now! Make sure to turn in your Enrollment Verification Form by November 3rd for priority processing.  

Current Running Start students can utilize the information found in this section to plan for classes or a degree. If you have any additional questions not answered on our website, you can always contact the Running Start Office at: or (253) 833-9111, ext. 2674. Also, it is important to check your Green River email regularly for important Running Start notifications and updates. Additionally, you can sign up to receive important text reminders by texting @running to (253) 948-9470 and you can "like us" on Facebook too.



We offer workshops to support currently enrolled Running Start students in their academic planning and success.

Degree Planning Workshop - The Degree Planning Workshop is mandatory for all Running Start students taking 10 or more credits or who plan to complete a degree at Green River College. Students taking less than 10 credits are welcome to attend as well. Make sure to attend this workshop after you've attended orientation and registered for your first quarter. 

In this workshop students will learn:

  • about the associate degrees offered at Green River.
  • how to choose a degree and plan your classes efficiently.
  • how credits taken at Green River transfer to universities.
  • how to use tools to plan your degree, such as Ed Plan.

Sign Up

Senior Workshops - These workshops are for high school seniors to learn about applying and transferring to a university after completing your time at Green River. Topics include: how to research universities, transfer steps, applying for financial aid and senior year timeline. Workshops are offered each quarter.

Sign Up


Registration Dates & Deadlines for Currently Enrolled Students


Registration Opens

Registration Deadline

Fall 2016

May 3, 2016

September 12, 2016

Winter 2017

November 8, 2016

December 28, 2016

Spring 2017

February 7, 2017

March 27, 2017

Before You Register

Running Start students must complete the following steps each quarter before registering for the following quarter.

  • Week five of each quarter: Check your registration access time to check the specific day and time you are allowed to register for classes.
  • Three weeks prior to your registration access time: Meet with your high school counselor or school district office to complete an Enrollment Verification Form. Complete the form, including your signature and a parent or guardians signature. Submit the form to the Running Start Office in SA 126 at least one week prior to registration to ensure it is processed in time. Incomplete forms will delay your registration.
  • If you are on academic alert or probation: You must complete an academic success plan and self-assessment prior to registering for classes. Students will recieve these forms via email at the beginning of the quarter and can submit them to the Career & Advising Center or email them to If you would like to meet with an advisor to discuss your academic progress, you can call (253) 833-9111, ext. 2674 to schedule an appointment. Refer to the Running Start Responsibility Agreement for details.

Registering for Classes

  • If you have the item number(s) of the class(es) you would like to register for, then proceed to online registration.
  • You may utilize the following tools to search for courses: 
    • Schedule Planner: This tool allows you to search for classes by subject, class title and campus.
    • Class Schedule: Includes class offerings for a particular quarter and important information regarding tuition, academic calendar, etcetera.
    • College Catalog: Provides course descriptions for all Green River College classes and important college academic policies.
    • High School District Equivalency Guides: Lists all classes which satisfy various high school requirements for various school districts.
    • Class Availability List: Shows all open classes sorted by time and class title.
  • What if I'm on a waitlist? Learn about waitlists and what to do if you are on one here.
  • Pay online for your fees and tuition, if any, within 4 business days after registering for classes.
  • Purchase or search for your textbooks online or in-person at the Paper Tree Bookstore.

Online Classes

If you are interested in taking an online class, we recommend taking one online class your first quarter or a hybrid (both online and classroom format) class. Find helpful information about hybrid courses here.

Check out our tip sheet to help you be successful in the online learning environment; Online course tip sheet.

Equivalency Guides

Below you will find information about Green River classes you may take to meet specific high school diploma requirements. The high school is always the authority in granting their diploma, so when in doubt about a requirement consult your counselor regarding high school graduation requirements. Additionally, make sure you are selecting classes according to your school district's requirements as each district may vary.

If you do not see your district listed, contact your high school counselor for class equivalencies.

Note for student athletes: Your high school may accept a variety of classes to meet a particular requirement. If you are a student athlete and plan to compete post-high school, you should meet with your high school counselor to make sure you are selecting classes that will meet NCAA requirements.

Degree Planning

With careful planning, it is possible to graduate from high school with an associate degree at the same time. If you are taking 10 or more credits per quarter, make sure you sign up for a mandatory Running Start Planning Workshop if you have not already done so.

Sign Up


  • Degrees and programs : Find the right degree and its requirements.
  • College Transfer Center : Get resources for transferring to a university, including transfer equivalency guides, information on university reps visiting and other important events.
  • The college catalog: is helpful for course descriptions, degrees offered and academic policies.
  • The annual schedule: find out when classes will be offered throughout the year.
  • Ed Plan: use this tool to plan your classes quarter by quarter. 
  • If you earned college credits in high school (example: AP tests or UW College in the High School):
    • To see how your AP or IB scores will count at Green River, visit the College Catalog.
    • Have the institution send an official copy of your grade or test score to Green River, attn: Enrollment Services.
    • Fill out a Transcript Evaluation Request Form and submit it to Enrollment Services.
    • Expect an email from Enrollment Services about four to six weeks after all documents are submitted with results of the evaluation.


Check out our Running Start quarterly calendars:

  • Fall 2016
  • Winter 2017 - coming soon
  • Spring 2017 - coming soon

After Running Start

It's never too early to start planning for life beyond high school and the Running Start program! Here are some things to consider as you attend classes at Green River:

  • If you're undecided about your career or major, you might want to take a career assessment. Find details at our Career Planning Services page.
  • Often students continue at Green River after graduating from high school to complete an associate degree. You will continue taking classes as usual. There is no need to submit an enrollment verification form. We recommend meeting with an advisor to plan the completion of your degree.
  • Begin researching your transfer options early. You can start by checking the information on our College Transfer Center website.
  • Know the application deadline for the institution to which you intend to transfer. 
  • Apply for financial aid early.
    • You can start applying for scholarships in your junior and senior year. Start at our money for college page to find links to scholarship search engines.
    • In addition to scholarships, you need to apply for financial aid each year you are in college after you graduate from high school. Apply for FAFSA and supplemental financial aid applications in January of your senior year and every year you're in college.
  • You will need to indicate your intent to graduate at Green River at least two quarters in advance.
  • To request an official transcript, visit Online Services and click on the "Student Info" tab. 

Success Tips

Tips for a successful quarter.

  • Remember to check your Green River student email account regularly.
  • Utilize the varoius free tutoring centers on campus.
  • Counseling and Health Services offers mental health counseling, wellness education and student success workshops.
  • Seek help from Disability Support Services if you need accommodations for a class.
  • The Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion offers a supportive community for students of all backgrounds.
  • The Holman Library has quiet study areas, computers for student use and a circulation desk for assistance.
  • Meet with a Running Start Advisor for help in planning classes or take career assessments at the Career and Advising Center.
  • Your instructor is a great resource too! Find all staff and faculty contact information on the Employee Directory
  • Check the College Calendar for important dates including registration dates, holidays, finals and events. Maintain a personal calendar or planner with all important dates and deadlines.
  • Check your progress. Instructors may not post grades on Canvas. Be aware of your academic status at all times. Refer to your instructor's syllabus for tracking your progress throughout the quarter.
  • Once the quarter ends, you must check your grades online. The college does not mail progress reports or transcripts. 

Managing Your Study Time

There are only so many hours in a day, a week and a term. You cannot change the number of hours, but you can decide how to best use them. To be successful in school, you must carefully manage your study time. Here is a strategy for doing this. Read more about managing your study time.

Academic Standards

Running Start is a fantastic opportunity to earn high school and college credit simultaneously, however, there are consequences which students should be aware of if they do not perform well academically. Not only do poor grades and incomplete credits impact a student's ability to graduate on time, but there are long-term consequences that may impact a student's financial aid eligibility or ability to transfer to a university. Therefore we uphold an Academic Standards policy.

In order to remain eligible for Running Start, you must maintain satisfactory academic progress by:

  1. Earning a minimum 2.0 quarterly grade point average, and
  2. Completing all enrolled credit
  • Failure to earn credit in coursework results in an "I", "NC", "W" or a grade below a 1.0 on the transcript.
  • Students have a small window of opportunity to withdraw from a class and not have it post to their permanent transcript: follow the important deadlines published in the quarterly class schedule to remain informed.

By enrolling in Running Start at Green River, you are subjecting yourself to this policy. Failure to meet academic standards in any quarters will result in dismissal from the Running Start Program. Students have three opportunities to demonstrate satisfactory progress. Any third quarter of not meeting standard will result in dismissal from the Green River Running Start program.

Students are expected to know their academic status at all times. You may access your unofficial transcript here. Grades generally post to your transcript 5-7 days after the quarter ends. It is advisable to track your grades during the quarter so you are aware of your performance at any given time and can address concerns as they arise.

We want your experience as a Running Start student to be positive and productive. If you are struggling in classes, there are support services available to you, most of which are free including tutoring, advising, counseling and workshops. Please do not hesitate to contact staff for guidance and support.

Future Financial Aid Considerations:

Financial aid eligibility at Green River will be affected by a student's academic performance in Running Start.

  • Specifically, the Green River College Financial Aid Academic Progress policy states: "The College will look at all attempted credits regardless of the source of tuition payment."
  • Time spent at Green River College reduces the overall time period students can be considered for financial aid because you are taking college level classes.
  • Academic progress policies vary from institution to institution; protect your transcript by completing all attempted credits. See a Running Start advisor for questions.