Please check back for information on this program!
Earn 5 Green River credits
Costa Rica is best known for its towering volcanoes, pristine beaches, rainforests and unique birds and wildlife. Costa Rica also has a long tradition of democracy, an excellent health care system and the highest literacy rate in Central America. Living in a foreign culture will help students acquire the language faster and it provides the opportunity to practice and apply what is learned in the classroom.
This is a study program. Students must register for 5 credits in Spanish Language and are expected to fully participate in all class ctivities. Language class sizes are never larger than 5 students per teacher.
All language courses are taught by highly qualified faculty of the ICLC Institute.
Classes will be held at the Instituto de Cultura y Lengua Costarricense (ICLC), Costa Rica's premier language institute. ICLC is set on a hillside surrounded with tropical flowers and fruits in Alajuela, Costa Rica's second largest city. Enjoy the countryside of coffee and sugar plantations while being within 30 minutes from the capital, San Jose.
Students will stay with carefully selected local families in Costa Rica. All students will have their own room and home stay which will include continental breakfast and dinner by the family and serviced laundry.
Cultural Activities and Excursions:
At ICLC, the Life and Culture program offers a series of local visits and mini-courses.
- Alajuela orientation visit including private transportation, typical lunch and visit to Juan Santamaria Museum.
- 1-day trip to Doka coffee plantation, Poas Volcano and La Paz Waterfalls, with bilingual escort, private transportation, entrance fee to the national park and to the waterfalls and lunch included.
- 3-day trip to Manuel Antonio National Park with transportation, hotel accommodation on trip in quad room, one entrance fee to the national park after breakfast.
Program Fee: TBD
- Private room in Costa Rican home
- Daily continental breakfast and dinner while in homestay
- Laundry services in homestay
- Pre-departure orientation
- Airport pick-up by host family (between 7 am - 10 pm)
- Spanish instruction for 4 hours per day
- On-site support
- Excursions listed above
- Costa Rican departure tax (approx. $27)
- College tuition and fees
- Taxi to airport at end of program (approx. $30)
- Passport fees (and visa fees, if applicable). Costa Rican departure tax
- Lunch (about $7 per day)
- Communication outside of Costa Rica (phone, internet, etc.)
- Wire transfer fees
- Optional weekend trips and excursions
Students with a GPA of 2.5 or higher are eligible to apply. Transcripts are required. Minimum age is 18 (17 with permission).