Money for College
Paying for college is a challenge for most students. We can help. Green River provides the following funding options to help eligible students with their college expenses.
Start the Process Today!
If you have questions about these programs or need help filling out the forms, call us today. We want to help you get the money you need to pay for your college education.
Explore your Funding Options:
Federal, state and college-based financial aid is available to our students in the form of grants, loans, work-study jobs and scholarships. Financial aid awards are processed throughout the year in the order files are completed, so it is best to apply as early as possible to receive the funding that is still available.
To find out how to apply and other important Financial Aid information, please visit the Financial Aid page.
The Green River Foundation offers over 275 scholarships each year to eligible students. Students may choose among five categories of scholarships: program based, merit based, need based, general scholarships and transfer scholarships. Check with the Green River Foundation for details about these scholarships.
Scholarships are also offered throughout the community. There are search engines and individual sites dedicated to helping students find scholarships. These can be found on the Green River Scholarship page.
Funding Programs for Undocumented Students
Whether you are applying to Green River, or are already a student, we are committed to supporting undocumented students through the application process of accessing the resources available to help your pursue higher education. Washington State provides a number of funding programs that help undocumented students succeed in their educational pursuits. The Residency Requirements for Tuition page has more information about Washington State funding opportunities.
If you have any questions or need assistant with the application process, please contact the Enrollment Services Office at (253) 833-9111, ext. 2500 or Financial Aid Office at (253) 833-9111, ext. 2449.
Funding for Career and Technical Education
Green River provides free and reduced tuition, fees, books and supplies for students who qualify for funding assistance. Please visit Go2CollegeFree.com for more information. Our funding programs serve those who:
- Receive or have exhausted their unemployment benefits.
- Have recently lost their jobs, ended self-employment or received notice of an impending layoff.
- Qualify as low-income.
- Receive food stamps or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families.
- Are divorced, widowed or separated.
- Need additional skills to retain or upgrade their jobs.
For more information, please take our free survey.
Tuition Assistance for Pre-College Programs
Green River provides a number of low-cost programs to help participants transition to college and build life skills. Our programs serve those who:
- Did not graduate from high school.
- Are interested in taking the General Educational Development exam or GED® preparation classes.
- Want to earn their high school diploma and a college degree, at the same time.
- Need to improve reading, writing or math skills to improve employment options.
- Are speakers of other languages and want to improve their English language skills.
These programs provide reduced tuition for those who qualify.
For more information, call the Basic Skills office at (253) 833-9111, ext. 2315. Para español, habla al Tel. (253) 833-9111, ext. 2316.
Funding Options for Military Veterans
Green River is committed to the success of student Veterans and their families. The G.I. Bill, Veteran's Assistance and other military education benefits can all be applied to the cost of attending Green River. For more information, call Veterans Services ext. 2449.
Eligible Veterans or National Guard Members may also be eligible for a 10% deducation off the first 10 credits per quarter. For more information, contact Enrollment Services at (253) 833-9111, ext. 2500.
Children and Spouses of totally disabled, POW/MIA or diseased eligible Veterans or National Guard Members may be eligible to receive a complete waiver of tuition, including building and operating fees. Please contact Enrollment Services regarding more information regarding this waiver at (253) 833-9111, ext. 2500.
Easy Payment Plan (STEP)
Budgeting for college can be a challenge. Green River wants to help. That is why we offer an easy payment plan called STEP.
What is STEP?
STEP is a tuition payment plan available to assist students to pay their tuition and fees in three manageable payments, following the payment due dates listed in schedule below and published in the quarterly class schedule:
- 1st payment of $500 (increase effective summer quarter 2016)
- 2nd payment 50% of balance
- 3rd payment is total balance due
STEP is also an option for students who are waiting for their Financial Aid file to be reviewed.
How to sign up and pay:
- Register for classes.
- Register for item number STEP.
This will add the $25 non-refundable STEP enrollment fee to your class schedule.
- Pay 1st payment of $500 within four business days of registering. (increase effective summer quarter 2016)
- Pay 2nd and 3rd payments by payment due dates listed below:
|Quarter||1st Payment Due||2nd Payment Due||3rd Payment Due|
|Winter 2017||At time of registration||December 12, 2016||January 16, 2017|
|Spring 2017||At time of registration||March 13, 2017||April 10, 2017|
|Summer 2017||At time of registration||June 13, 2017||July 11, 2017|
|Fall 2017||August 7, 2017||September 5, 2017||October 9, 2017|
1st and 2nd payments must be made to the cashier’s office in person or by phone. Third payment/ final payments in full may be made online.
Payments not received by the published due date are subject to the Withdraw/Drop for Lack of Payment policy; you may be withdrawn from unpaid classes without prior notification from the college. Policy is to withdraw in the order of last class added.
- 100% refund of tuition and all fees when a course is cancelled by Green River.
- 100% refund of tuition and fees (minus $25 STEP quarterly enrollment fee) if the student withdraws from classes through the fifth day of the quarter.
- $25 STEP enrollment fee is non-refundable.
If you have any questions, call Enrollment Services at (253) 833-9111 ext. 2500.