Student Affairs

Residency Requirements for Tuition Purposes

Whether you are applying to Green River, or are already a student, we are committed to supporting undocumented students through the application process of accessing the resources available to help your pursue higher education.  Washington State provides a number of programs that help undocumented students succeed in their educational pursuits.  If you have any questions or need assisstance with the application process, please contact the Enrollment Services or Financial Aid Offices. 


Residency for Tuition Purposes

House Bill 1079

Effective July 2003, the Washington State Legislature approved House Bill 1079 (HB 1079), allowing certain undocumented students to pay in-state tuition at state colleges and universities.  

To qualify for resident tuition status, students must have met the following conditions and complete the HB 1079 Affidavit.

        1. Received Washington State High School Diploma from a public or private high school or its equivalency:

             a. Resided in Washington State for three (3) years prior to receiving a high school diploma, and completes the full senior year at a Washington State public or private high school

             b. Completed the equivalent of a high school diploma (GED) and lived in Washington State for the three (3) years before receiving the high school diploma equivalency

        2. Continuously lived in Washington State since earning the high school diploma or its equivalent (GED)

If you meet the above criteria, please review, print and complete the HB 1079 affidavit, then submit to the Enrollment Services Office.

DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals)

Effective July 2015, students may qualify to pay resident tuition if they have DACA status.  

Students should provide the following to Enrollment Services:

  1. Copy of a work authorization card; or
  2. Notice of action receipt from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCSI); and
  3. Proof of established domicile in Washington State for at least 12 continuous months prior to the first day of the quarter.  Examples include:

             a. Washington State driver's license 

             b. Washington motor vehicle registration

             c. Washington voter registration card

             d. Checking or saving account

             e. Evidence of full-time employment

             f. Membership in professional, business, civic or other organizations

             g. Receipt of benefits under public assistance programs

             h. Hunting or fishing license

Please contact the Enrollment Services Office for more information in the 2nd floor of the SA Building, email at, or (253) 833-9111 ext. 2500.  

Additional information, helpful resources, as well as services to support undocumented and DACA students are available at the US Center for Immigration Services (USCIS) DACA and the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project.

Washington State Funding

Eligibility for several Washington State financial aid programs has expanded to include students who are ineligible for federal financial ais due to immigration status.  Students who meet individual program, income, or residency requirements for State Need Grant (SNG), State Work Study, College Bound Scholarship, or Passport to College Scholarship should complete the free WASFA (Washington Application for State Financial Aid) to apply for state financial aid.

The REAL Hope Act

The REAL Hope Act (also known as the Washington Dream Act) has expanded eligibility for the Washington State Need Grant to low-income, non-citizen students who meet the program's eligibility requirements. 

Eligibility requirements include:

  • Be a Washington State resident
  • Meet family income guidelines
  • Attend classes at an eligible institution
  • Enroll with a minimum of three credits as an undergraduate student in an eligible program
  • Pursue a first bachelor's degree, a certificate, or a first associate degree in any field of study excluding theology
  • Not exceed five years of State Need Grant (SNG) term usage or 125% of enrolled program length
  • Not owe a repayment to another student aid program

 To apply for the academic year 2016-2017 (Winter 2017, Spring 2017 and Summer 2017):

  1. Complete the WASFA
  2. Submit Supplemental Financial Aid Application 2016-2017 to the Financial Aid Office
  3. Submit Washington Higher Education Residency Affidavit/Declaration/Certification to the Financial Aid Office

The Financial Aid Office may send you a letter requesting additional information.

State Work Study

The State Work Study (SWS) program helps low- and middle-income students earn money to pay part of their college costs while gaining valuable work experience in jobs related to their interests and goals.

Eligibility requirements include:

  • Complete the WASFA
  • Be a Washington State resident
  • Enroll at least half-time in an eligible program of study
  • Not be pursuing a degree in theology
  • Not owe a refund or repayment, or be in default in another financial aid program
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Be able to work legally in the United States


More information and helpful resources are available at State Work Study.

College Bound Scholarship

The College Bound Scholarship program is an early commitment of state financial aid to eligible college students who signed up in middle school to fulfill the scholarship pledge.

Eligibility requirements include:

  • Graduate from a Washington State high school with a cumulative 2.0 GPA or higher
  • Have no felony convictions
  • Complete the WASFA
  • Be income eligible as determined by the college with the information from the WASFA
  • Be accepted to an eligible college and begin attending within one year of high school graduation
  • Have DACA status

More information and helpful resources are available at College Bound Scholarship.

Passport to College Promise Scholarship

The Passport to College Promise Scholarship helps students from foster care prepare for and succeed in college.  The scholarship assists with the cost of attending college (tuition, fees, books, housing, transportation, and some personal expenses), specialized support services from college staff, and priority consideration for the State Need Grant and State Work Study programs.

Passport students may also opt-in for personalized help and support services from the College Success Foundation.

To meet eligibility requirements, Passport students must:   

  • Spend at least one year in foster care in Washington state after their 16th birthday
  • Emancipate from care on or after January 1, 2007
  • Enroll at least half-time in an eligible institution by their 22nd birthday
  • Maintain Washington residency
  • Not pursue a degree in theology
  • Be working toward earning their first bachelor's degree, associate degree, or certificate  

If approved for Passport, students must notify the college Financial Aid Office of their eligibility.  They also can contact the designated support staff person at their college to begin receiving help for navigating through college.  

To apply, complete the Passport Consent Form and send it to:  

Washington Student Achievement Council

Passport for Foster Youth Promise Program

PO Box 43430 Olympia, WA 98504-3430

Fax: 360-704-6246  

For more information:


Phone: 1-888-535-0747 (press option 5)