Green River awards a number of scholarships each year to assist students in meeting their educational expenses. Check with your advisor or a financial aid counselor to get more details about applying for these scholarships and to find out about deadlines.
The following is a list of just a few of the many sites available to students searching for scholarships. This list consists of links our staff have found to be useful for students, but is not exhaustive by any means.
Scholarships Offered Through the Community
- AllJobOpenings.com Working Student Scholarship (deadline: June 10, 2015 - award amount: $2000). Any student enrolled in an accredited US college or university in the Fall of 2015 is welcome to apply. Write an essay at least 800 words in length that covers the topic of working while in school. See website for additional details and application.
- American Advisors Group College Scholarship Contest (deadline: March 21, 2015 - award amount: $1000). College students between the ages of 16-22 are welcome to write an essay in 800 words or less. See website for additional details and application.
- CARiD Scholarship Program (deadline: Oct. 31st & April 30th - award amount: $1000). Current US students may create a photo inspired by any aspect of the automotive industry and email it to scholarship@CARiD.com. See website for additional details and what to include in your submission.
- Chicago Injury Center's Annual Scholarship Fund for Disabled Veterans (deadline: June 1, 2015 - award amount: 1 for $1000, 1 for $500, and 2 for $250). Write a 500+ word essay on the hurdles you have had to overcome as a veteran with a disability and how it has prepared you to face the challenges of your particular course of study. How do you believe the military and your road to recovery has helped prepare you for the challenges that you will face as a student? See website for additional details and application.
- College Student Scholarship, NursesLink.org (deadline: Oct. 31st & April 30th Every Year - amount: $500). Non-nursing college students can complete an application and write a 500-800 word essay. See website for more details and application.
- CompareCards.com Scholarship (deadline: Feb. 15, 2015 - award amount: $2500). Answer a trivia question and submit the entry form to be considered. See website for additional details and entry form.
- Financial Aid for Education, Assistance League Seattle (deadline: none, students should submit applications at least 3 weeks before the registration date to ensure time for processing - award amount: varies). Each year, Assistance League of Seattle provides qualifying students with scholarships for tuition and books to attend King County community colleges and vocational/technical colleges. The goal of these scholarships is to help students in need who are seeking an AA degree or transfer degree but may not qualify for traditional financial aid. Click on the link below for more information on eligibility and how to apply.
- Hearthstone Housing Foundation Scholarship (deadline: March 31, 2015 - award amount: $500-$5000). Students between the ages of 16-25 who are from low-income housing or demonstrate financial need and who are maintaining a 2.75 GPA or higher are welcome to apply. See website for additional details and application.
- HotelsCheap Scholarship Program (deadline: April 15, 2015 - award amount: $1500). Applicants must answer four personal, open-ended, and though provoking questions as well as complete the application. See website for additional details and application.
- Icing on the Ring Triumph Over Breast Cancer Scholarship (deadline: July 31, 2015 - award amount: $1000). Students with a 2.8 GPA or higher are welcome to write an essay between 500 and 1000 words on the topic "How has breast cancer challenged you to pursue your education goals?" See website for additional details and application.
- Leadership 1000 Scholarship (deadline: March 9, 2015 - award amount: $2,500-$5,000/annual). students who will be attending an eligible four-year college or university in Washington state. Students attending a community or technical college will be considered if they are transferring to an eligible four-year college/university for the fall of 2015, or if they are planning to complete a bachelor's degree program offered at the community college, or if they meet the specific eligibility criteria for the City of Tacoma. The 2015-2016 application opens in January 2015. See website for additional details and application.
- P.E.O. Program Scholarship: Philanthropic Education Organization - (deadline varies, Average Award $3,000). Available to women only. Applicants must have had at least 24 consecutive months as a non-student, be within 24 consecutive months of completing their educational goal, and be enrolled in an educational program leading to employment or job advancement. Applications are available in the Financial Aid Office. The application must be submitted to the Director of the Financial Aid Office.
- Post Office Locator Scholarship (deadline: April 15, 2015 - award amount: $500). This scholarship is open to all students in all majors enrolled in accredited academic institutions. Students must submit a 500-1000 word essay about the most interesting item you have ever received in the mail. See website for application and additional details.
- Renton Community Foundation Scholarship Program (deadline: April 3, 2015 - award amount: multiple scholarships ranging between $1000-$5000). Students with a family income of $50,000 or less or who demonstrate financial need and live within the Renton School District Boundaries or have graduated from a Renton High School are welcome to apply. Please see website to view all scholarships and for additional details and application.
- The Annual Stewart J. Guss College Student Scholarship (deadline: March 1, 2015 - award amount: $1000). The application process requires applicants to write and submit an essay of approximately 1000 words on the topic "What law would you change and why?" See website for additional details and application.
- The Drive to Learn Scholarship, Shift Insurance (deadline: May 1, 2015 - award amount: $1000). Full-time students at a college or university are welcome to apply. Write a 750-1000 word essay on one of the prompts listed on the website. See website for additional details and application.
- The JRC Insurance Group Scholarship (deadline: April 1, 2015 - award amount: $1000). Write a 1000 word essay which best explains why the family breadwinner's income should be protected by life insurance and describe the characteristics displayed by those who put their family first. See website for additional details and application.
- Veterans' Educational Scholarship (deadline: June 15, 2015 - award amount: $1000). Students who are a veteran of the US Armed Forces with an Honorable Discharge are welcome to complete the scholarship application and submit a brief essay about their military experience, their educational goals, and their future aspirations. See website for additional details and application.
- WSECU Scholarship (deadline: Feb. 13, 2015 - award amount: $1500). WSECU members who are enrolled in college full-time are welcome to apply. If you are not a WSECU member, you can learn more and join at www.wsecu.org. Please see website for additional details and application.
Diversity Scholarship Sites
- American Indian College Fund
- American Indian Endowed Scholarship (deadline: Feb. 1, 2015 - award amount: $500-$2,000) Students with close social and cultural ties to an American Indian tribe or community in the state. Recipients are selected on the basis of academic merit and a commitment to serve the American Indian community in the state of Washington.
- Black Excel Multiple links to African American, Hispanic and other minority scholarship searches, Historically Black colleges and other useful sites.
- Commission on Asian/Pacific Islander Affairs
- Gates Millenium Scholarships for African-American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian Pacific American or Hispanic students.
- Graduate Fellowships For Minorities Nationwide
- Hispanic Students Online Guide, Making College Affordable - Includes a listing of scholarships for Latino students.
- Holocaust Remembrance Scholarships
- INROADS internships
- ScienceNet Scholarship Listing
- The Latin American Educational Foundation
- Thurgood Marshall Scholarship Fund
- United Negro College Fund - Scholarships are sorted by General, Alphabetical, Geographical and Discipline.
- Washington State Governors' Scholarship (deadline: March 9, 2015 - award amount:$2,000-$4,000/annual). Young men and women who are currently in an open dependency court order in Washington State, or an open dependency tribal court order, continue their education and earn a college degree. Eligible students must meet specific criteria. The 2015-2016 application opens in January 2015. See website for additional details and application.
International Student Scholarship Information
- EduPass Smart Guide to Studying in the USA - Provides up-to-date information for international students.
- International Education Financial Aid - Promotes international education through the development of the most comprehensive database of international education financial aid information on the Internet.
- International Scholarships Online - At this site, you will find the most comprehensive listing of grants, scholarships, loan programs, and other information to assist college and university students in their pursuit to study abroad.
- International Scholarship Search
Scholarships for Academic Programs
- Nursing Program Scholarship, NursesLink.org (deadline: Oct. 31st & April 30th Every Year - amount: $1000). Nursing students may complete an application and write a 500-800 word essay. See website for more details and application.
- Nursing Scholarship, RN to BSN Online Program (deadline: July 31, 2015 - award amount: $500). Students may write an essay about why they want to become a nurse. See website for additional details and application.
- Nursing School Scholarship (deadline: August 31st annually - award amount: $1000). Students who are enrolled or will be enrolling in an undergraduate or certificate level nursing education program are welcome to apply. See website for additional details and application.
- OMAP Scholarship, Online Medical Assistant Programs (deadline: varies - amount: $500). Four scholarships awarded annually. Students enrolled in a Health Care related field are welcome to apply. See website for additional details and application.
- Scholarships for Nursing
- Senior Care Innovation, A Place for Mom (deadline: April 15, 2015 - award amount: $1000). Students enrolled in an associate's degree or bachelor's degree program in a medical, nursing, or social sciences related major are welcome to apply. See website for application and additional details.
- WA State Opportunity Scholarship (deadline: March 2, 2015 - award amount: $2,500-$7,500/annual). Low- and middle-income students pursuing eligible, high-demand majors in science, technology, engineering, math (STEM) or health care. The 2015-16 application opens Jan. 5, 2015. See website for additional details and application.
Washington Universities - Transfer Student Scholarships
- City University of Seattle
- Eastern Washington University
- Evergreen State College
- PLU Transfer Scholarships
- Seattle Pacific University Transfer Scholarships
- University of Washington-Seattle transfer Scholarships
- University of Washington-Seattle Husky Promise
- University of Washington-Tacoma Scholarships
- Washington State University Transfer Scholarships
- Western Washington University Transfer Scholarships
- Whitworth University
Scholarship Search Engines
- Accredited Schools Online - Scholarship for Minority Student
- Careers and Colleges
- College Board Scholarship Search - Locate scholarships and other information that matches your educational level, talents and background.
- College Connection Scholarships
- College Resource Network
- College Scholarships.com
- CollegeNet - Mach 25: Breaking the Tuition Barrier - Over 600,000 awards totaling over $1.6 billion with a keyword search to narrow to particular scholarships.
- FastWeb! Search - Begins with a password protected customized profile for searches among thousands of scholarships.
- Find Money for College
- Free College Scholarships
- Scholarship America
- Scholarship Experts - Locates scholarships by a profile of program, regional area, school and other information.
- Scholarship Hunter - Free and Easy Scholarship Source.
- Scholarship Quest Helper
- School Soup
- Student Scholarship Search
- The National Data Base Scholarships
- The SmartStudent Guide - Undergraduate scholarships and graduate fellowships are forms of aid that help students pay for their education.
- The Washboard.org