Math Learning Center
If you are struggling with math, come to the Math Learning Center (MLC). We are here to help. The MLC is located in BI 5 & 6.
Tutoring assistance, math videos, computers, textbooks, and other learning resources are available free of charge to support students in their math studies to achieve success in their classes.
Graphing calculators may be rented for a nominal, non-refundable fee.
A limited number of TI-83, 83Plus and 84Plus graphing calculators are available for rent on a quarterly basis.
Fee: $20 non-refundable, per quarter.
- Students may rent the calculators on the first day of the quarter at the Math Learning Center. Students should provide a copy of their registration form that shows they are enrolled in a math class that requires a graphing calculator.
- Students must return the rented calculators to their math instructor on the day of the final or the last day they attend class. Students who do not return the calculator will be billed for the cost of the calculator, plus a $10.00 late fee, and their records will be flagged so that they will not be allowed to register until a) the calculator is returned AND the late fee has been paid, or b) the outstanding balance has been paid.
If you would like a graphing calculator guide, please click on one of the links below.
The Math Learning Center has several networked computers available for school related student use.
- Hawkes Learning Systems
- Geometer's Sketchpad
- Internet Access
- MS Office
- Minitab 14
- Maple 15
- TI Connect
Videos for the following math classes may be viewed in the Math Learning Center or may be checked out:
- Math 62
- Math 70
- Math 72
- Math 97
- Math 141
- Math 142
- Math 106
- Math 151/152/153
- TI-Graphing Calculators (TI-83 and 89)
Video Tutorials - Factoring
Factoring Binomials Difference of Squares:
Factoring By Grouping:
Factoring By Guess and Check:
Factoring Perfect Square Trinomials:
Factoring the GCF:
Sum of Squares:
Video Tutorials - Fractions
Adding and Subtracting Fractions with Common Denominator:
Adding Fractions with Unlike Denominators:
Adding Fractions with Unlike Denominators Using the Least Common Denominator:
Adding Mixed Numbers with the Same Denominators:
Adding Mixed Numbers with Unlike Denominators:
Dividing Mixed Numbers:
Finding the LCD:
Multiplying Mixed Numbers:
Subtracting Mixed Numbers with Same Denominator:
Subtracting Mixed Numbers with Unlike Denominators:
The Math Learning Center (MLC) employs students in part-time hourly positions to provide brief tutorial math assistance for students on a drop-in basis. A schedule of tutors, along with the level of math and the days/times available is posted at the MLC. The services are free of charge.
Tips for Using the MLC:
- Take charge of your own learning - and form your own "study groups" for your math classes - and then meet in the MLC
- Get to know the student peer tutors who are available for your specific classes.
- Practice your math skills and applications.
- Keep in mind that "doing homework" is very different than "studying" and you need to plan time and DO BOTH to be successful.
- Remember that there is a learning curve, which begins very slowly when you first become acquainted with new concepts, skills, tools and applications. Take time and plan ahead and schedule enough study and MLC time to meet your needs.
Supplementary Textbooks and Materials
Supplemental texts and materials are available for use in the Math Learning Center and for checkout on a weekly basis. Texts are color-coded as follows:
- Math 62 and 70 - light yellow and yellow
- Math 72 - light blue
- Math 97 - light orange and orange
- Math 141 and above - hot pink
Sample Entrance Exams
Sample Entrance Exams for Math 62, 70, 72, 97, 141/107/170/147, 142, and 151 are available online at http://www.wamap.org/diag . The password to access these sample exams is: grccee
Math Help Sheets
Special Interest books and videos
- View the list