Message from the president: Commitment to our Undocumented Students
By Suzanne M. Johnson, June 20, 2019
Dear Green River College Community,
This week, President Trump made a statement on his Twitter account threatening deportation of undocumented immigrants beginning next week. There were no further details provided beyond this statement. I am concerned that the President’s statement has raised fear and anxiety among students, faculty and staff. I want to reaffirm our College’s commitment to all of our students and remind you of resources we have available to our college community.
- We welcome and affirm the values of diversity and inclusiveness as well as the right of all students to be free from unlawful interference with the pursuit and attainment of their educational goals.
- We are an open access college; we do not make admissions decisions about students based on their immigration or citizenship status, and we do not request immigration documentation, except as needed to determine the eligibility for resident tuition rates.
- We are committed to providing a safe and inclusive college environment; we take seriously the responsibility to protect student information and do not disclose protected information from student education records, except as required in response to a lawfully issued subpoena, court order, or with the consent of the student.
- Our student records, including any information regarding their immigration status, are protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Green River Campus Safety officers do not question people about their immigration status.
I want to remind our students that we have resources available through the Office of Diversity Equity and Inclusion (email@example.com and 253-833-9111 Ext. 2803) and the Counseling Center (firstname.lastname@example.org and 253-833-9111 Ext. 2460). In addition, the Holman Library Website has an extensive collection of information and resources for undocumented students, refugees and immigrants.
Green River College supports the educational goals of all of our students. Our diverse student community enriches our college and all are welcome at Green River College.
Suzanne M. Johnson, Ph.D.
President, Green River College