Winter Quarter 2022 Update (1/12/22)
By Deb Casey, Ph.D., Vice President of Student Affairs, January 12, 2022
On Dec. 28, we announced most of Green River’s classes and student support services would operate remotely for the first two weeks of the Winter term. Since then, the GRC leadership team and Reopening Committee have continued to monitor the rapid spread of COVID-19 in our community.
It is with that in mind that we have made the following adjustments to our Winter 2022 plans:
- Most classes will continue to meet online through Monday, Feb. 7.
- Student support services will continue to be available remotely through our Virtual Assistance page. In-person services will reopen Monday, Feb. 7, on Mondays and Thursdays from 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. on an appointment basis.
- Starting Jan. 18, clinical instruction and certain CTE/Trades, & Fine Arts classes may meet on campus.
- The campus strongly encourages KN95 and N95 masks for the best defense against COVID-19 Omicron.
- Quarantine and isolation protocols are aligned with the CDC and Department of Health’s latest guidance.
Until Feb. 7, travel to campus should be limited to classes being offered face-to-face. Students should not come to campus unless they are enrolled in approved clinical, CTE, Fine Arts or Trades programs. Students coming to campus are required to attest to their vaccine status and submit a daily health attestation. Employees needing to visit campus to complete an essential task may do so with permission from their dean or supervisor. Employees are also required to attest to their vaccination status and to submit a daily health attestation.
After Feb. 7, face-to-face and hybrid face-to-face courses will resume on campus. We are a fully vaccinated campus, and students and employees must comply with our vaccination protocols. In addition, as noted above, campus support services will be open at all campus locations. Please see the Reopening Plan for hours of operations for student supports services and campus services. The full Winter reopening plan can be reviewed here: GRC Phased Reopening for Winter 2022.
We are all eager to return to offering in-person instruction and support services, as we did throughout Fall; however, the latest variant of COVID-19 (Omicron) is spreading more quickly than prior variants. By limiting face-to-face interaction during this period of rapid transmission, we are hopeful that we will limit the spread of COVID-19 and be able to resume classes on campus next month.
We will continue to monitor the situation and make appropriate adjustments as needed based on the latest and best information provided by Public Health.