Basic Technology Requirements
Make sure you have what you need to be successful in your online and virtual classes
Desktop or Laptop Computer
- Windows 10 or macOS Catalina
- 6-8GB RAM
- 50-100GB Hard Drive
- Keep your system up to date by enabling Windows Auto-update or Mac's Auto-check and update options.
*Mobile Devices: Not all features in Canvas will work on mobile devices such as smart phones or tablets. If you are using a mobile device, you can open Canvas in a browser or download the Canvas Student App (iOS | Android). We highly suggest doing major assignment and class work on a desktop or laptop computer.
Canvas supports the most recent update for each of the following browsers:
- Firefox (recommended)
- Respondus Lockdown Browser (for specific exams/tests/quizzes)
Microsoft Word and Office Suite
You will need Microsoft Word to complete assignments. Some assignments may require Excel, PowerPoint, or other Office tools.
Technology Back-up Plan
You will have technology problems. This is just an aspect of using technology. Expect it and have a back-up plan when it inevitably happens.
What you need:
- alternative computer/device
- alternative internet access
- backup cloud storage (such as OneDrive)
If you have significant, long term problems with access to technology, contact your instructor for an extensions (not guaranteed) and firstname.lastname@example.org for alternative technology as soon as you can.
Certain courses may require additional software or hardware, so check with the instructor the first day of class.
Resources to Help Get the Technology in your Hands
- Check-out a Green River laptop or WiFi hotspot by emailing email@example.com.
- Fill out this form for a Gator Pledge to buy technology equipment. (Learn more about the Gator Pledge here.)
- Apply for a CARES Grant for technology equipment you get to keep by filling out this form or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. (Learn more about the requirements of CARES Grants.)
- Get your tech supplies covered by your scholarship.