English Proficiency Requirements
International students whose native language is not English are required to demonstrate proficiency in English before taking academic classes full-time. Students who have not met English proficiency begin with Intensive English classes.
English proficiency can be demonstrated by meeting any one of the following:
- TOEFL 61/173/500 or higher on the international TOEFL or Green River institutional TOEFL. Institutional TOEFL scores from EF, ELS, CJR, Kaplan International, Japan College of Foreign Language (JFL), Osaka college of Foreign Languages (OCFL), IIEF and HIUC are accepted. Institutional TOEFL scores from any other institution or school are not accepted. Send official TOEFL scores using Green River's TOEFL school code 4337.
- IELTS 5.5 no band lower than 5.0
Additional English Proficiency measures
These additional English Proficiency measures are accepted:
- Academic placement on the Green River Intensive English Placement Test. Only a score of 85 or higher on the Multiple Choice section of the test and an academic level proficiency on both the written essay and oral test is considered an indication of academic-level standing.
- Successful completion of all Green River Intensive English Academic Preparation (Level 5) classes. If a student has completed one or more Academic Preparation classes, the student may begin academic studies*. Students completing the Intensive English program must begin their academic studies within two quarters of completing Intensive English classes. (*Students must consult with an International advisor regarding concurrent Intensive English/Academic classes)
- IELTS of 5.5 with no band lower than 5.0.
- Official SAT Score of not lower than English Language Arts 410 and Math 430
- Cambridge General Certificate of Education (GCE) O level passing score in English
- Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) of no lower than 46
- STEP/EIKEN score of Grade Pre-1 or better
- International General Certificate of Secondary Education (IGCSE) English (not ESL) score of C or higher
- Academic-level transfer students only: placement in or completion of English 101 or higher, at an accredited English-language college or university. Academic standing at another institution is not recognized without English proficiency. Placement in English 101 does not constitute completion of the English proficiency requirement for GRC Intensive English students.
- iTEP Academic Score 4.5 or above
- Completion of the appropriate ESL level at these schools:
- EF International Language School - Upper Intermediate 2 Level (B2-3) or Institutional TOEFL or IBT Report
- Eurocentres Canada (Vancouver, Toronto) and San Diego - Scale of Proficiency Level 6
- ELS Language Schools - Level 109, Advanced, or Institutional TOEFL Report
- FLS - Level 14
- Kaplan International English Programs - Advanced Level Completion Letter
- Embassy CES - Intermediate Level
- St. Giles International English Language Academy - Level 6
- Secondary Education:
- Official high school completion diploma from accredited institutions in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, United Kingdom or the United States indicating a passing score in English.
- Denmark: A minimum grade of 7 in A-level English and 10 in B-level English (new scale); grade of 11 in English in Stream B, Technical Path
- Finland: High School English grade 8 or higher
- Germany: Gymnasium/Abitur of 7 or higher in LF classes; without LF, a grade of 10 or higher
- Netherlands: VWO: 6 or higher; HAVO: 7 or higher; MBO: 7 or higher
- Nigeria: Completion of Senior School Certificate Examination (SSCE) with a score in English of C6 or higher
- Norway: High School English grade of 4 or higher
- Sweden: Upper Secondary School: VG
- Singapore: Completion of N level or higher
Follow us on:
Hours of Operation
|Monday - Friday:|
|9 a.m. - 5 p.m.|
|Saturday - Sunday:|
Green River College
12401 SE 320th Street
Auburn, WA USA 98092-3699
Application deadline for students transferring from within the U.S. is by 8 a.m. on the first day of the quarter.
|2 April 2018|
|15 June 2018|
|Preferred Application Deadline:|
|15 May 2018|
|Airport Arrival & Housing Move-in Day:|
|19 June 2018|
|Orientation & Testing Begins:|
|20 June 2018|
|25 June 2018|
|16 August 2018|