Who Takes Green River's International High School Completion Program?
- Students who haven't yet finished high school and want to start their college study in the US.
- High school exchange students studying in the US, Canada, Australia, the UK or New Zealand who want to continue their education in the US.
- Students who don't want to spend their final year studying for their national university entrance exams and prefer to study in the US.
How Does the High School Plus Program Work?
Students must complete all remaining course requirements set by the State of Washington for a high school diploma as well as the following additional requirements:
- Transcript Evaluation: Student must submit high school transcripts translated into English. Our High School Plus evaluators assess your transcripts and let you know how many classes you will need to complete at Green River to get your high school diploma. Most students can fulfill high school requirements by completing six classes.
- English Proficiency: High School Plus classes are academic classes. You must meet English proficiency requirements in order to begin academic classes.
- Academic Planning: Upon meeting the English proficiency requirements, you work with your assigned international student advisor to develop an individual academic plan. This plan includes the classes you need for High School Completion and University Transfer.
- Graduation: After completing the program requirements, you apply for graduation and receive a Washington State High School Diploma.
- Transfer to Universities: Academic advisors assist in class selection and university transfer planning to top US universities.
- Applicants must be a minimum of 16 years of age.
- Students are not eligible if they already completed high school and received a diploma in their home country or the U.S.
High School Completion students should follow the same Admissions guidelines. See Admissions. In addition, applicants should submit a transcript of any high school attending including 9th grade.
All students need to demonstrate eligibility for academic classes.
Students qualify for direct admission into our academic program if they meet one of our approved English Proficiency requirements: TOEFL 61/173/500, IELTS of 5.5 with no band lower than 5.0, or academic placement on Green River's English placement test. For more information go to English Proficiency Requirements for Academic Programs.
US high school exchange students who provide their US high school transcripts prior to orientation are eligible to take our academic placement test.
Transferred to: William and Mary
"I heard that I could finish high school and get college credits at the same time in Washington State. So then it came down to a choice between two community colleges, I chose Green River."
Major: International Relations
Transferred to: Purdue University
“I'm so grateful that Green River College's High School Completion Program allowed me to go to college right after grade 10. With this program, I obtained my Bachelor's Degree at the age of 20 - advancing me two years ahead of my peers."
Major: Systems and Industrial Engineering