Partners Newsletter - Keeping you Informed

Important Information Issue No 55 | Fall Quarter | November 2009


Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some of the more commonly asked questions about community colleges, universities and Green River. If you do not find all the information you are looking for, please send us your questions and we will get right back to you with the answers.

About Community Colleges:

  • What is a Community College?

    Community colleges are a major sector of the U.S. education system. More than 11 million students, about 46 percent of all undergraduate students, attend community colleges throughout the United States.

    Community colleges provide the first two years of university education, called “lower division courses,” preparing students to transfer to a university for two years to complete their bachelor’s degree. This system is called “2+2” – two years at a community college plus two years at a university equals a bachelor degree.

    The community college also offers two-year associate degrees in many fields; one and two year certificates for shorter courses focusing on career training as well as short term non credit programs.

    Close to 100,000 international students attend community colleges, about 39% of all international undergraduate students in the United States. Green River College has been serving international students since 1985 and currently has over 1,000 students from over thirty-two countries.

  • What are the benefits of attending a community college?

    The curriculum at a community college and a university are the same. Both the community college and the university are accredited by the same agency. However, the community college costs less money, classes are smaller and you receive more attention from your instructors and advisors.

  • How difficult is it to transfer from GRCC to top universities all over the U.S.?

    It is easy to transfer from GRCC to a university. Green River students are admitted to top universities all over the US, including University of Washington, UC Berkeley, Indiana, Michigan and hundreds of other excellent schools. Six universities, including University of Oregon and San Francisco State, also offer conditional guaranteed admission to GRCC international students.

About getting ready to attend GRCC:

  • How do I apply?

    You may apply online or by mailing or faxing your application.

  • When can I start?

    You may start any quarter. Fall quarter begins in September; winter quarter begins in January; spring quarter begins in April; and summer quarter begins in June.

  • What is the age requirement?

    Students must be 16 years of age.

  • How do I obtain a student visa?

    Upon acceptance to Green River Community College you will be sent an I-20. You then need to bring the I-20, your passport, and a bank statement to a United States Embassy to apply for a student visa. It is best to check the Web site of the Embassy in your country for up-to-date information.

  • Do I have to complete a TOEFL assessment prior to attending?

    No, you don’t have to take the TOFEL; you may take our English Placement Assessment when you arrive. However, if you have a TOFEL score of 173/500 you are immediately eligible for academic classes. In the event you do not qualify there is an English as a Second Program available to assist you in preparing for the college program.

About student life at GRCC:

  • Where is Auburn?

    Auburn is a suburb of Seattle, approximately 35 miles south of the city-center. It is about 20 minutes from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. Auburn has a population of 45,000 and is located on the Green River.

  • Where can I live?

    You can live on campus. Campus Corner Apartments is a wonderful place to live and make friends with Americans and others from all over the world. You may also choose to live with a host family or in a nearby apartment. Our housing department will work with you to find the type of accommodations you desire.

  • How many students are on campus?

    Green River College has been serving international students since 1985 and currently has over 1,000 students from over 40 countries.

  • Can I participate in Sports and Activities?

    There are both intramural and varsity sports at the college. In addition, there is a full-time activities coordinator for international students. Trips, clubs, sports, cultural activities are arranged on a continual basis for international students.

  • Can I work?

    Yes and no. You can work on campus at any time. There are more students wanting jobs than there are jobs; however, so you have to compete for them. There are special circumstances which allow you to work off campus after attending for a number of quarters. Ask an advisor when you get to the College.

  • More questions?

    Please let us know if you have more questions by
    e-mailing us directly. We will get right back to you with the answers.

Call, e-mail or visit us on the Web at Web: Call Today! (253) 288-3300
Phone: (253) 288-3300
Fax: (253) 931-6346
Address: Green River College
12401 SE 320th Street
Auburn, WA 98092-3622
Copyright © 2009 Green River College International Programs. All rights reserved.