Skip to main content

Green River College International Programs

Host Families

"We are committed to maintaining the highest standard of customer service to our students, agents and host families. I believe we have built a premier hosting program and are looked at as the best practices program for hosting in Washington State."
- Cyndi Rapier, Director of Housing
International students visit Snoqualmie Falls with Host Family.

International students visit Snoqualmie Falls with Host Family.

Green River College's International Housing program began in 1989 with fifty host families and less than 100 international students. Today, in 2017, the program has grown to 450 active host families and between 1,600 and 1,700 international students.

More often than not, international students build lifelong bonds with their host families and Green River truly values and embraces the importance of host families in the community.

Thank you to all of our host families for being kind, respectful, gracious and sharing your homes with our students. You help make this program the success that it is.

Dates to Remember

Check out the orientation calendar.

Please check your emails for our quarterly availability requests.

Frequently Asked Questions & Resources

I want to host international students. How can I qualify?

You are eligible to become a host family if the commute from your front door to Green River College is less than 45 minutes, including all transfers and walking time. If you live further away, you must be willing to commit to driving the students to campus or to a safe bus stop that shortens their commute on a daily basis. English must be the primary language spoken and written in your home. Please be sure that you are committed to hosting students, not just "renting rooms." Do not count on this as income; it is unreliable as an income source and we cannot guarantee you will have students. The students can always tell when a host is doing this for the money and they will move out and complain to their friends and the housing staff. Please also note that adults must live in the home and a complete background check will be done on those living in the home over the age of 18.

At the orientation we will answer all of your questions and have applications available.

Our next host family orientation will be on Thursday, May 4 & 18, June 1, 8, 15, 22 & 29 in IVC room 101 at 6:30 p.m.

What is the housing deposit?

Host families receive a $100.00 check for every new student placed in your home. It should arrive about the same time as your student. It is collected from students prior to being placed with a host family. If your student cancels at the last minute, this is yours to keep.

How much do I charge the student for the 1st month?

$575.00 (The 100.00 deposit you received separately makes up the $675.00 for the shared living expense).

*Beginning Fall 2017, the first month for 16 year olds will be $750 and the first month for students older than 16 will be $625.

What do I charge the following months?


*Beginning Fall 2017, the monthly cost for 16 year olds will be $850 and the monthly cost for students older than 16 will be $725.

What if my student says they or the agent paid the school their money?

Believe them! Call us to verify this is correct, then have your student come to the office to pick up their refund check after they recieve an email instructing them to do so.

What paperwork do I need to turn in to be paid the $100.00 Airport Greeter fee?

Client Services Agreement, W-9 & The Airport Greeter Invoice (signed by your student)

When is the paperwork deadline?

2 weeks after arrival or you may turn it into the Green River staff at the airport.

What extras can I charge my students for?


What if my student has a friend that wants to move in with us?

Contact the Housing Office. At no time should a student move into your home without our knowledge.

What do I do when my student moves out?

Fill out an Exit Interview to inform us your student has moved.

How do I get a new student?

Fill out an Exit Interview online to let us know of your availability. It is important we keep our records up to date. In addition, you may contact us via e-mail at

Where can I take my student for banking needs?

We recommend the Auburn branches of Wells Fargo and Chase. Both these locations will give students under 18 a checking account with a debit card. This way they don't have to carry cash around. Bank of America will also support our students; but students under 18 are unable to open a checking account. They have a limited number of withdrawals available during the quarter.

Where can I take my student if he/she is sick or injured?

We recommend taking your student to a MultiCare location. We have worked to make the process as smooth as possible when working with them. You will need to bring the student's medical release form and proper identification. They will ask you to sign a form consenting to treatment which is acceptable with their medical release. Do NOT sign anything that says you are financially responsible. Email or come by the IP office with questions. Call the emergency line if there is an emergency, after you have called 911.

Where can I take my student if he/she needs dental assistance?

William Sutton, DDS provides reduced rates for students. He is located at 1002 Harvey Road, Auburn - (253) 833-2290. Alternatively, students can purchase dental insurance though LewerMark Student Insurance for rates starting at $17.75 per month.

Who do I call if there is an EMERGENCY?

Call Cyndi Rapier at 253-740-8422

For more information: Contact Us