Study English at an intensive pace
Green River College's Intensive English Program is for international students who want to prepare for academic study at American colleges and universities. We offer small classes and personal attention from highly qualified instructors.
Prepare for transfer to American universities
Our advanced level offers academic preparation classes and opportunities for students to experience regular college classes. Most students who enroll in our Intensive English Program continue their academic study at Green River College for two years, then transfer to a four-year university in the U.S. to complete their bachelor's degree. Our students have transferred to University of Washington, University of Southern California, Purdue University, University of Michigan, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, and many other excellent American universities.
Learn important skills:
- English skills (grammar, writing, reading, and oral communication)
- Academic skills (process writing, presentations, research, note-taking)
- Study skills (organization, teamwork, self-assessment)
- Culture skills (interaction with other international students and Americans, analysis of American life, and use of campus and community resources)
After completing the English Program, students can:
- Move directly into academic studies at Green River College (if other admission requirements have been met)
- Apply for admission to other U.S. colleges or universities
- Return home with enhanced English language skills to apply to their work or studies
Intensive English Program Overview
- 20 instructional hours of class per week:
Four instructional hours per day, five days per week (summer varies)
- 5 Levels: Basic to Academic Support.
Each level takes one quarter (three months) to complete.
- Course Content: Grammar, Writing, Reading, Listening and Speaking
- Fall, winter and spring quarters last 11 weeks. Summer quarter is 8 weeks (6 instructional hours per day, 4 days per week). The English Program quarters follow the same calendar as the academic program.
English Program Placement Testing
A placement test is conducted during orientation and at the beginning of each quarter to help determine the student's level of English. Based on the test results, students are placed into English classes. Students who achieve a very high score on the placement test may qualify to take academic classes right away. Otherwise, students placed into the English Program must complete Academic Support (Level 5) before starting academic coursework. Those who enter the college with a TOEFL score of 61/173 /500 or IELTS 5.5 (all bands) may begin academic classes immediately.
Small Classes & Highly Qualified Instructors
Our instructors have years of experience in teaching English and living abroad. Additional learning support services include:
- Free tutoring
- Advisors to assist in degree and transfer planning, registration, immigration, housing and cultural adjustment
- Planned activities on-campus and off-campus
- Computer lab in the campus library
The cost of the program is the same as the current tuition and fees for full-time academic, international students. English program class fees are refundable through the first day of the quarter. They are non-refundable after the first day of the quarter. Costs