Intensive English helps prepare international students to study at American colleges and universities with small classes and personal attention from highly qualified instructors.
Prepare for transfer to American universities
Our advanced level offers academic preparation classes and opportunities for students to experience regular college classes. After Intensive English students may continue their academic study at Green River College for two years, then transfer to a four-year university in the U.S. to complete their bachelor's degree. Our students have transferred to University of Washington, University of Southern California, Purdue University, University of Michigan, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, and many other top American universities nationwide.
Learn important skills:
- English: grammar, writing, reading, oral communication
- Academic: process writing, presentations, research, note-taking
- Study skills: organization, teamwork
- Culture: interact with American and international students, study American life, learn campus/community resources
After Intensive English, students may:
- Continue in academic studies at Green River
- Apply to other U.S. colleges or universities
- Return home with enhanced English skills for their work or studies
Intensive English Overview
- 20 class hours per week: Four hours a day, five days a week (summer varies)
- 5 Levels: Basic to Academic Support.
- Course Content: Grammar, Writing, Reading, Listening and Speaking
- Fall, winter and spring quarters are 11 weeks. Summer quarter is 8 weeks (6 hours a day, 4 days a week). The Intensive English Program follows the Green River academic calendar.
English Placement Testing
Students take a placement test during orientation and at the beginning of each quarter for placement into English classes. Students may place into any of the five levels or may qualify out of Intensive English. Those who enter the college with English Proficiency a TOEFL score of 61/173 /500 or IELTS 5.5 (all bands) also qualify out of Intensive English.
Small Classes & Highly Qualified Instructors
Intensive English instructors have years of experience in teaching English and living abroad. Additional learning support services include:
- Free tutoring
- Advisors to assist in degree and transfer planning, registration, immigration, housing and cultural adjustment
- Planned activities on and off campus
- Computer lab in the campus library
The cost of Intensive English is the same as the current tuition and fees for full-time international students. Intensive English fees are refundable through the first day of the quarter only and are non-refundable beginning the second day of the quarter. Costs