Gator News

GRC Awarded Nearly $1.9 Million in U.S. Department of Education Grant for AANAPISI Program

By Philip Denman, College Relations, September 27, 2023

Green River College is proud to announce that it has been selected as a recipient of funding from the U.S. Department of Education's Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institutions (AANAPISI) program. Green River College will receive nearly $1.9 million to support our ongoing efforts to serve 4,648 current and prospective students during the 2023-2028 grant period.

The AANAPISI program is designed to help institutions that serve a high number of Asian American (AA), Pacific Islander (PI), and low-income students to better support their enrollment, progress, credential completion, and graduation.

According to Ha Nguyen, GRC’s Vice President for Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion, this marks a historic milestone for Green River College.

“GRC joins a small but dedicated group of AANAPISI institutions in Washington State, including the Seattle College district, Pierce College, Shoreline Community College, and the University of Washington-Tacoma,” Nguyen said. “[The AANAPISI] Project will improve AAPI and low-income students’ enrollment, success in critical courses, retention, credential completion, and graduation.”

The grant will enable Green River to implement a wide range of initiatives aimed at enhancing the educational experience and outcomes of our AAPI and low-income students, including:

  • Culturally Responsive Professional Development: Providing our faculty and staff with training to better understand and support the unique needs of our AAPI and low-income students, creating a more inclusive and responsive educational environment.
  • Targeted Outreach and Co-curricular Events: Developing outreach programs and events designed to engage students and foster a sense of belonging within our college community.
  • Enhanced Course Offerings: Expanding our course offerings with accelerated options, no-cost textbooks, and access to tutors, making education more accessible and affordable for our students.
  • Individual Academic Support: Providing personalized academic support to help students achieve their educational goals and address any barriers they may face.
  • Emergency Aid for Students in Crisis: Connecting students facing unforeseen financial hardships with resources close small, but critical financial gaps that would otherwise cause a student to drop out.
  • Partnerships with Nonprofit Agencies: Collaborating with nonprofit organizations to provide students with comprehensive wrap-around support, addressing their academic, financial, and personal needs.

“The AANAPISI grant underscores Green River College's steadfast commitment to foster equity, embracing diversity, and promoting inclusion, and our dedication to support the success of our AAPI and low-income students,” GRC President Suzanne M. Johnson said. “We are excited to embark on this journey and look forward to making a lasting and positive impact on the lives of our students.”

The $1,891,827 GRC will receive from the AANAPISI program between 2023-2028 equals 85% of the above initiatives' cost. The remaining 15% will be raised through private matching donations to an endowment fund at the Green River College Foundation that will issue emergency aid to AAPI and low-income students in crisis. Individuals interested in contributing to the matching fund can do so by visiting

The program was recently recognized by the White House’s proclamation on National Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institutions Week to honor the AANAPISI program’s essential role in empowering generations of underserved AA and NHPI students.

To learn more about AANAPISI, visit: U.S. Department of Education | Asian American and Native American Pacific Islander-Serving Institutions Program.

Recent News

GRC shifts to summer hour operations June 26

June 21, 2023

Green River College logo

The general hours of business operations will be from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Thursday, with the campus closed to the public on Fridays. Regular hours will resume the week of Monday, Sept. 4.