Message from the president: Welcome back & important dates to know
By Suzanne M. Johnson, January 14, 2019
Greetings Green River College Community,
Welcome back! I hope everyone had a peaceful and joyous start to the new year! Now that classes are well underway I wanted to reach out to everyone to share some important upcoming dates and activities for our winter term.
1. Dr. C. Nicole Mason’s return visit to campus begins tomorrow! (see the message below from Jody Segal):
Starting tomorrow, Tuesday, January 15th, Dr. Mason will lead a series of talks and workshops open to our entire community.
We hope you will participate and that you will encourage your students to attend as well. We encourage you to bring an entire class or student club, and are happy to send sign-in sheets to faculty who offer extra credit. Please just let me know ahead of time.
- Tuesday, January 15th 1-2:30 pm in SU River Room:
My (Our) Changing Reality V. A Changing World - A Talk on Intersectional Feminism, the #MeTooMovement, Men Behaving Badly & Complicit Women
- Wednesday, January 16th 1-3:30 pm in SU Grand Hall:
Just Like Me: The Power of Narratives and Personal Stories to Build Bridges Across Differences, and Connect Us All
A Talk by Dr. Mason and a Q&A moderated by our own Andaiye Qaasim and Marcie Sims
Followed by a meet and greet with Dr. Mason. Co-Sponsored by ODEI & GDEC
- Thursday, January 17th 1-3 pm in SU River Room:
The Power of Your Story: Claiming Your Narrative and Finding Your Voice - A talk and workshop that invites participants to reflect on their personal histories and narratives, and how they can be used to disrupt, challenge, empower and inspire others.
Participants may attend one or both hours
2. If you haven’t already heard…..we have successfully launched Green River College’s official podcast!! It is called Gatorcast!!!
You can find us on iTunes, Spotify, and Google Music (see below for details).
You can subscribe at Greenriver.edu/gatorcast. Go there to find our first podcast and there is also an area for comments / suggestions! Why a podcast at Green River? What are we going to do in the podcasts? Listen to the first episode and your questions will be answered!! J.
3. Upcoming winter term College-wide Town Hall dates will be:
- February 20: Noon – 1:30 p.m. in the Cascade Room; the topics will be the College Budget Process and College Planning (and how they are connected)
- March 6: Noon – 1:30 p.m. in the Grand Hall; the topics will be What do we do with what we know to improve student success? & What is SEM and how does it all relate to each of us?
4. Upcoming “afternoon / mornings with the president” will be:
January 25, 2-4 p.m., in Pine/Noble Rooms
February 22 , 9-11 a.m. in Emerald City
March 28, 2-4 p.m. in Emerald City (I know the winter term ends on the March 22 but I thought I would list the date for March here anyway)
5. Upcoming All Managers, All Faculty, and All Campus meetings for winter term will be:
- March 8, All Manager’s, Noon-1 p.m., in the Cascade Room
- March 14, All Faculty, Noon – 1 p.m., in the Cascade Room
- March 15, All Campus, Noon – 1 p.m., in the Cascade Room
6. Beginning soon: searches for a Senior Director of College Relations and a Senior Director of Human Resources:
As a reminder, in my fall note to campus, I introduced these upcoming openings and job searches. Please watch for upcoming emails from Shirley Bean and George Frasier for details about the search processes and timelines for both searches.
7. President’s Book Club will continue this winter term:
Stay tuned for details and invitations to join the club!
8. Lastly, the 2019 legislative session began last week:
I will be in Olympia most of next week engaged in advocacy for Green River College and our system. It will be a busy legislative session for us. Stay tuned for updates!
Happy Monday, everyone! Let’s make this winter term the best one yet!!
Suzanne M. Johnson, Ph.D.
President, Green River College