Getting Started As A Veteran At GRC
Learn about your VA education benefits
Starting your college career can be confusing. We're here to help! Below is a step-by-step guide that will help you navigate the admission and registration process.
Part 1: Apply and Begin Orientation
Your student email account will be activated the next business day after your application is processed. All Green River communication will be sent to your Green River student email account.
- Begin the Online Orientation
Even if you recently attended another college or university, online orientation will provide you with the most up to date information on processes and resources to help you be successful at Green River.
Part 2: Transfer Your Credits
If you will be using VA education benefits and have earned credit from the military and at other colleges or universities, the VA requires that those credits be evaluated at Green River by the end of your 3rd quarter. You must request official transcripts from those institutions.
Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy: https://jst.doded.mil
Official transcripts should be sent to:
Office of the Registrar
12401 SE 320th St
Auburn WA 98092-3622
Please complete and submit a Transcript Evaluation Request form to the Office of the Registrar. Results of your evaluation will be emailed to your Green River student email in approximately four weeks.
Contact Veteran Services
Please email us the following information:
- Student ID Number
- Program of Study
- Benefit you plan to use
- Which quarter you wish to start
Post 9/11 GI Bill® Students – Please email us your Certificate of Eligibility or Statement of benefits. This document is required for us to put a hold on your classes while we wait for the VA to pay for them.
Part 2: Complete Your Info Session
We will reply to your email with information you need to review and forms you must complete. Please feel free to contact us if you have questions regarding the information provided to you.
Please complete and submit the required forms to Veteran Services.
Part 1: Explore Funding
You are allowed to use other funding sources along with your VA benefits.
Find all options for funding your education online at Pay for College, including:
- FAFSA or WASFA
- Workforce Education
- STEP payment plan
Part 2: FAFSA / WASFA
Financial aid priority processing dates:
Green River's school code is 003780
Check the Financial Aid Portal for the status of your application and any additional required documents. If you are receiving financial aid for the current year at another college or university, you must cancel any future aid and provide documentation to Green River’s Financial Aid Office.
* Priority will be given to applications received by these dates. Additional funding will be awarded after priority dates based on availability.
Part 1: Check Requirements
All degrees require an assessment of a student's skill level in reading, writing and math through various placement options.
Some certificate programs do not require placement, connect with the Career & Advising Center if you are pursuing a certificate program.
Part 2: Establish Placement
If you completed classes at another college or university please submit official transcripts for evaluation. If it has been more than two years since initial placement was determined, and you did not receive credit for English and/or math classes, you may need to reestablish course eligibility.
Unofficial copies of transcripts and placement documentation can be used to establish placement.
Please submit documents via email for evaluation.
Visit the Placement site for more information on:
- Placement options including, high school and college level coursework and assessments, and Green River placement assessments.
- Preparation resources for Green River assessments.
- Submitting documents for other options.
Parts 3 & 4: Orientation and Advising
- Finish your online orientation.
- Sign up for a New Student Advising and Registration session. A link to sign up for new student advising and registration will be sent to your Green River student email once you complete the steps above, including placement. It is helpful to have your previously earned credits officially evaluated through the Office of the Registrar prior to registering for classes, however we can use unofficial transcripts to make a first quarter plan while we wait for official evaluation to be completed.
For questions about taking a Green River placement assessment, please contact:
Contact GRC Military Affairs
Phone: 253-833-9111, extension 2211
Military Affairs is located on Green River College's main campus in Auburn in CH-303
Hours of Operation
|8 a.m. - 6 p.m.|
|8 a.m. - 5 p.m.|
|8 a.m. - 4 p.m.|