Residency Requirements

Residency Requirements for Tuition Purposes

Whether you are applying to Green River, or are already a student, we are committed to supporting undocumented students through the application process of accessing the resources available to help you pursue higher education. Washington State provides a number of programs that help undocumented students succeed in their educational pursuits. If you have any questions or need assistance with the application process, please contact the Office of the Registrar or Financial Aid Offices.

House Bill 1079

Effective July 2003, the Washington State Legislature approved House Bill 1079 (HB 1079), allowing certain undocumented students to pay in-state tuition at state colleges and universities.  

To qualify for resident tuition status, students must have met the following conditions and complete the HB 1079 Affidavit.

  1. Received Washington State High School Diploma from a public or private high school or its equivalency:
    1. Resided in Washington State for three (3) years prior to receiving a high school diploma, and completed the full senior year at a Washington State public or private high school
    2. Completed the equivalent of a high school diploma (GED) and lived in Washington State for the three (3) years before receiving the high school diploma equivalency
  2. Continuously lived in Washington State since earning the high school diploma or its equivalent (GED)

If you meet the above criteria, please review, print and complete the HB 1079 Residency Affidavit, then submit to the Office of the Registrar.

DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals)

Effective July 2015, students may qualify to pay resident tuition if they have DACA status.  

Students should provide the following to the Office of the Registrar:

  1. Copy of a work authorization card; or
  2. Notice of action receipt from United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCSI); and
  3. Proof of established domicile in Washington State for at least 12 continuous months prior to the first day of the quarter.  Examples include:
    1. Washington State driver's license 
    2. Washington motor vehicle registration
    3. Washington voter registration card
    4. Checking or saving account
    5. Evidence of full-time employment
    6. Membership in professional, business, civic or other organizations
    7. Receipt of benefits under public assistance programs
    8. Hunting or fishing license

Please contact the Office of the Registrar for more information in the 2nd floor of the SA Building, email at, or 253-833-9111, ext. 2500.  

Additional information, helpful resources, as well as services to support undocumented and DACA students are available at the US Center for Immigration Services (USCIS) DACA and the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project.

Contact Us

Office of the Registrar Phone: 253-288-3383


Please submit all PDF forms and supporting materials to our Secure Document Upload tool, or in person to SA 280


Student Affairs and Success Center, room 280