Green River awards a number of scholarships each year to assist students in meeting their educational expenses. Check with your advisor or a financial aid counselor to get more details about applying for these scholarships and to find out about deadlines.
The following is a list of just a few of the many sites available to students searching for scholarships. This list consists of links our staff have found to be useful for students, but is not exhaustive by any means.
Scholarships Offered Through the Community
- Band Together Scholarship (deadline: August 1, 2016 - award amount: $500) Write a short essay explaining who has helped you throughout your life to get where you are today. Entries should be 500 to 1000 words in length. Please see website for details and the application.
- CARiD Scholarship Program (deadline: Oct. 31 and Apr. 30 - award amount: $1000) Current U.S. students may create a photo inspired by any aspect of the automotive industry and email it to scholarship@CARiD.com. See the website for additional details and what to include in your submission.
- College Student Scholarship, NursesLink.org (deadline: Oct. 31 and Apr. 30 every year - award amount: $500) Non-nursing college students can complete an application and write a 500-800 word essay. See website for more details and the application.
- Financial Aid for Education, Assistance League Seattle (deadline: none, students should submit applications at least three weeks before the registration date to ensure time for processing - award amount: varies) Each year, Assistance League of Seattle provides qualifying students with scholarships for tuition and books to attend King County community colleges and vocational and technical colleges. The goal of these scholarships is to help students in need who are seeking an AA degree or transfer degree but may not qualify for traditional financial aid. See website for more information.
- Martin Family Foundation Honors Scholarship (deadline July 14, 2016 - award amount: up to $12,000 per year, renewable up to three years) Open to Washington community college students planning to transfer to UW in fall 2016 or winter 2017 (including those who have already transferred but not yet earned more than 18 UW credits). Applicants must be Washington State residents who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. See website for details and the application.
- Petkey Scholarship (deadline: July 22 every year - award amount: $500) Open to animal loving full-time students or those who plan on being full-time with over a 3.0 GPA. Submit a 500-1000 word essay or two-minute video. See website for more details.
- P.E.O. Program Scholarship: Philanthropic Education Organization (deadline varies - average award $3,000) Available to women only. Applicants must have had at least 24 consecutive months as a non-student, be within 24 consecutive months of completing their educational goal, and be enrolled in an educational program leading to employment or job advancement. Applications are available in the Financial Aid Office. The application must be submitted to the Director of the Financial Aid Office.
- Seattle Foundation Scholarships Multiple scholarships with varied deadlines are available. Application information is provided at washboard.org.
- Sterling Law Scholarship (deadline: June 30 for the next school year - award amount: $1,000) Open to high school seniors and college students enrolled full-time to help curb the cost of education. See website for more details and the application.
- Varsity Tutors Scholarship (deadlines: fifteeth of each month - award amounts: $1000 each) Essay questions change monthly. See website for more details.
Diversity Scholarship Sites
- American Indian College Fund
- Black Excel Multiple links to African American, Hispanic and other minority scholarship searches as well as historically Black colleges and other useful sites.
- Commission on Asian Pacific American Affairs
- Gates Millenium Scholarships for African-American, American Indian, Alaska Native, Asian Pacific American or Hispanic students.
- Graduate Fellowships For Minorities Nationwide
- Holocaust Remembrance Scholarships
- INROADS internships
- P.E.O. Program Scholarship: Philanthropic Education Organization (deadline varies, average award $3,000) Available to women only. Applicants must have had at least 24 consecutive months as a non-student, be within 24 consecutive months of completing their educational goal, and be enrolled in an educational program leading to employment or job advancement. Applications are available in the Financial Aid Office. The application must be submitted to the Director of the Financial Aid Office.
- ScienceNet Scholarship Listing
- The Latin American Educational Foundation
- Thurgood Marshall Scholarship Fund
- United Negro College Fund Scholarships are sorted by general, alphabetical, geographical and discipline.
- Washington Council of the Blind (WCB) (deadline August 15, 2016 - award amount: $1,000 - $3,000) Scholarships are offered to legally blind college or vocational and technical school students who are residents of Washington State. See website for details and the application.
- White Collar Defense Diversity Scholarship (deadline: Sep. 1, 2016 - award amount: $500) Offered to African American and Hispanic students from single-mother homes who are committed to pursuing a quality education and who have a demonstrated ability for overcoming adversity and challenges related to their backgrounds. Applicants must be in good academic standing with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. See website for additional details and application.
International Student Scholarship Information
- EduPass Smart Guide to Studying in the USA - Provides up-to-date information for international students.
- International Education Financial Aid - Promotes international education through the development of the most comprehensive database of international education financial aid information on the Internet.
- International Scholarships Online - At this site you will find the most comprehensive listing of grants, scholarships, loan programs and other information to assist college and university students in their pursuit to study abroad.
- International Scholarship Search
Scholarships for Academic Programs
Washington Universities - Transfer Student Scholarships
- Central Washington University
- City University of Seattle
- Eastern Washington University
- Evergreen State College
- PLU Transfer Scholarships
- Seattle Pacific University Transfer Scholarships
- University of Washington-Seattle transfer Scholarships
- University of Washington-Seattle Husky Promise
- University of Washington-Tacoma Scholarships
- Washington State University Transfer Scholarships
- Western Washington University Transfer Scholarships
- Whitworth University
Scholarship Search Engines
- Careeronestop - Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor.
- College Board Scholarship Search - Locate scholarships and other information that match your educational level, talents and background.
- College Connection Scholarships
- College Resource Network
- College Scholarships.com
- ComputerScience.org - Scholarships for women in computer science.
- FastWeb! Search - Begins with a password protected customized profile for searches among thousands of scholarships.
- Find Money for College
- Free College Scholarships
- Scholarship America
- Scholarship Experts - Locates scholarships by a profile of program, regional area, school and other information.
- Scholarship Hunter - Free and Easy Scholarship Source.
- Scholarship Quest Helper
- Student Scholarship Search
- The National Data Base Scholarships
- The SmartStudent Guide - Undergraduate scholarships and graduate fellowships are forms of aid that help students pay for their education.
- The Washboard.org