Students Living Outside of Washington State

If you live in the U.S. but outside of the State of Washington it is likely that you will be able to take classes at Green River College.

You can take classes if your state belongs to SARA and, if your program leads to professional certification or licensure, Green River College meets the requirements in your state.


What is SARA and Who Participates?

Green River College is a member of SARA, an agreement among member states, districts, and territories that establishes comparable national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education (https://www.nc-sara.org/). 

As an institution participating in SARA, Green River College can offer online courses to students residing in other states also participating in SARA. As of July 2019, California is the only state not participating in NC-SARA.

The National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) maintains a list of states, districts, and territories participating in SARA.


Programs Leading to Professional Certification or Licensure

Each state sets the requirements to recieve a professional license in their state and determines whether or not an educational program meets their requirements. When professional certification or licensure is required for employment, Green River must indicate if their programs meet the requirements in each state, or if that has not yet been determined.

See Green River College's List of Out-of-State Certificate or Licensure (coming soon)

Contact the eLearning Office if you have questions. 

Complaint Resolution

Complaint resolution for out-of-state students begins in the same way as for local students. 

  • To resolve complaints regarding instruction, such as a complaint about your grade, follow the Instructional Student Complaint Process. 
  • To file a complaint about misrepresentation of the nature of educational programs, financial charges, employability of graduates, etc., see the Consumer Protection Student Complaint Process through the State Board of Community and Technical Colleges, GRC’s governing body. 
  • Complaints about discrimination and/or harassment should be directed to the college’s Title IX Officer. 

Students who are unable to successfully resolve their complaint through Green River College’s complaint resolution process may file a complaint with the Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC). The Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) has authority to investigate student complaints against specific schools. WSAC may not be able to investigate every student complaint. Visit the WSAC Student Complaints webpage for information regarding the WSAC complaint process. 

NC-SARA also maintains a list of state entities that govern the SARA agreement in each state. Contact information for each state is available on their website. 

Green River College is accredited by The Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, which can also be contacted. 

For more information please email Green River's eLearning office. 

Help Links

  •  eLearning
  • Canvas 24/7 Help
    • Chat
    • Call: (425)-429-2005
  • Student IT Help Desk
    • Zoom Link | ID: 938 4358 3105 | PW: 98092
    • Call: (253) 833-9111 x2115
  • Hawkes
    • Chat
    • Call: (843) 571-2825
  • Panopto
    • Email
    • Call: (855) 765-2341