Veterans Getting Started

Getting Started with Veteran Services

Getting started is a multi-step process. VA School Certifying Officials are here to help you use your VA benefits.

In addition to Green River College’s Getting Started process, there is an additional process you need to complete to get your VA benefits going. Below is a step-by-step guide that will help you navigate that process.


If you plan to use your VA benefit to pay for college, you will need to apply for your VA benefit first if you have not done so already.

  • VA Education Benefits (Post 9/11 GI Bill®, Post 9/11 GI Bill® Transfer of Entitlement, Montgomery GI Bill®, Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve, etc.), apply online here.
  • Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance (Chapter 35), apply online here.
  • Veterans Readiness and Employment (VR&E), apply online here.

Questions about the different VA benefits? Please contact the Department of Veteran Affairs directly.

VA Education benefits (including Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance): 888-442-4551

VA Veterans Readiness and Employment: 800-827-1000


If you have earned credit at other colleges or universities, and/or through the military, the VA requires that your prior credit be evaluated towards the degree or certificate you are pursuing here at Green River. You must request official transcripts from those instiutions.

  • Army, Navy, Marines and Coast Guard transcripts can be requested here.
  • Air Force transcripts can be requested here.

Official transcripts must be sent to:

Green River College
Office of the Registrar
12401 SE 320th St
Auburn WA 98092-3622

Complete and submit a Transcript Evaluation Request form to the Office of the Registrar using our Secure Document Upload tool. Results of your evaluation will be posted on your student account in approximately four weeks.

Questions? Please contact the Office of the Registrar directly.

Office of the Registrar
SA-277 (2nd floor of Student Affairs and Success Center building)


Please email the following information in order to proceed with Step 4::

  • Full name
  • Program or Certificate you are interested in - Fulll list of programs and certificates can be found here.
  • Quarter you plan to start
  • Benefit type you plan to use

Note regarding tuition and fees:

Post 9/11 GI Bill® and Post 9/11 GI Bill® Transfer of Entitlement students:

  • We need your Certificate of Eligiblity from the VA to place a hold on your account, so are not dropped from classes while your VA benefit is in process for payment by the VA.
  • Submit your Certificate of Eligibility using the Secure Document Upload tool. Acceptable file formats (PNG,JPEG/JPG,PDF)
  • You are responsible for paying tuition/fees by the tuition due date if we do not have this document on file in our office.

Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserve and Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance benefit studentsYou are responsible to make your tuition and fees payment when tuition and fees are due.


You must complete Step 3 in order to proceed with your intake process.

Once you email us the required information listed and submit the required information to the Secure Document Upload tool, we will reply to your email with the documents you need to review and/or fill out for the intake.

It is important that you carefully read the email and attached document sent as it contains additional information and your next steps.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Contact Us

Apply For Benefits

Planning to use VA benefits to pay for college? Learn more on our Using VA Benefits page.

Using VA Benefits