President Biden to Visit Green River College Friday, April 22
By Suzanne M Johnson, April 21, 2022
Dear Green River College Community,
I am writing today to share the exciting news that President Joe Biden will be visiting Green River College this Friday, April 22, as part of his official visit to Washington State. During his visit to our campus, President Biden plans to meet with a number of elected officials in our area and a limited number of members of our college community – especially students. The President will also provide remarks in the Mel Lindbloom Student Union.
As a college, we do not endorse a specific campaign or political agenda. We make our facilities available when they are not being used for educational or athletic purposes. Earlier this week, the White House contacted the college and requested to use the Mel Lindbloom Student Union for this important, invitation only event. Green River was selected as a site in large part because of the vital career and technical programs we offer that support workforce development for the region and the state. The nursing program is of particular interest.
This is an exciting opportunity for the college, and I realize many of you are interested in attending the event. However, seating is limited and by invitation only. All ticket distribution and event admission decisions are being made by the Biden administration and GRC. We ask that if you are not regularly scheduled to work on campus on Fridays, please continue to work remotely from home as you usually would.
While every effort is being made to minimize disruption to campus, some changes in campus operations are necessary to ensure the safety of our visitors. These changes are:
- The Mel Lindbloom Student Union will be closed to the public on Thursday, April 21 through Friday, April 22. The Bookstore, Gator Grille, Daily Grind, Recreation and Athletic Center (RAC), and Campus Life offices will be closed to the public.
- The Rainier Room in the Student Affairs Building (SA 259) will be open and available for students to eat or study.
- Mathews Way through Kennelly Commons will be closed most of Friday. Students, faculty, and staff who need to go from buildings on the east side of campus (AD, HR) to the west side of campus (RLC, Holman Library, Salish) will need to use an alternative route.
- Ticket holders for the event will be directed to Kennelly Commons before entering the Student Union. Non ticket holders will be directed to other areas of campus open to the public.
- Parking near the east entrance in lot P13 and behind Shipping & Receiving will be restricted for the event. Students, faculty, and staff coming to campus for their scheduled classes or work should utilize the west entrance of campus and park in lots P1 – P8.
- If you are on campus during the next couple of days, you will notice an increased security presence with officers from the Auburn Police Department, King County Sheriff’s Office, and the Secret Service, in addition to our own Campus Safety officers.
I want to extend my thanks to all those working behind the scenes to coordinate this special event. This is an exciting opportunity for our college and the communities we serve!