About our program
Your education in the arts begins here.
Green River College fosters an in-depth preparation for the study and creation of art. At Green River you will undertake a program of study which helps each individual student find a balance between aesthetics and technique in your creative process and expression. Through the development of strong problem solving skills, you will learn to discuss the theoretical and practical meaning of your work. At Green River you can develop your ideas, build strong techniques, and create a competitive portfolio.
Prepare to Succeed
A portfolio is a crucial part of your application to professional art schools, most university art programs and galleries. A good portfolio helps someone evaluate your achievements and potential and should include samples of your best work in your specialty.
Your portfolio may include:
- Drawings including drawings from observation only and figure drawing from a live model
- Composition skills, exploration of media, use of color
- Design—2D, 3D, and abstract work
- Complex compositions showing thoughtful execution of ideas
Prerequisites & Fees
- Completion of a Green River College Application
- Completions of placement testing, and an art advising meeting
- Communication (written and verbal) and organizational skills
- Recommended –a GED® or high school diploma.
- Many of the art courses require additional fees, ranging from $10-$50. You will also be required to purchase your own art supplies.
Degrees & Certificates
- Associate of Fine Arts in Art Degree - AFA
- Patrick Navin
253-833-9111, ext. 4552
- Gary Oliveira
253-833-9111, ext. 4663
- Cindy Small, Art Faculty
- Sarah Dillon Gillmartin
253-833-9111, ext. 4213