Application Instructions for Practical Nursing
The Green River College Practical Nursing Program is a four-quarter program beginning each Fall Quarter and concluding at the end of Summer Quarter. Program capacity is 40 students, which is determined by available faculty. The application cycle runs March-June each year. Below is a list of application materials to help prepare you for this process:
- Complete all pre-requisite coursework with a 2.5 or higher. Your prerequisites must be completed at the time of application, with the exception of 1 class outstanding at the time of application. The application will be due in late June, which means you can have one class outstanding in summer quarter. It is recommended that students meet with a Health Occupations Advisor to ensure that their coursework meets the requirements of the Nursing Program.
- ENGL& 101
- BIOL& 241
- BIOL& 242
- BIOL& 260
- CHEM& 121
- NUTR& 101
- PSYC& 200
- CMST& 210, CMST& 220 or CMST& 230
- MATH& 146
- Apply to Green River College and obtain a student ID number.
- Have your official transcripts sent to Green River College. You will need to do this for each college you have attended.
The following will be completed during the application cycle March-June of the year you intend to apply:
- Complete the Kaplan Nursing School Entrance Exam at the Assessment and Testing Center. You can take this test between the months of March and June at the Assessment and Testing Center, SA 148. The exam consists of four sections: Science, Reading, Writing, and Critical Thinking. You can study for the exam by purchasing the Kaplan Nursing School Entrance Exams: Your Complete Guide into Nursing School, 7th Edition book. Applicants will need a 67% overall score. To check the testing center’s hours, please visit the Assessment & Testing Center page.
- Attend a Required Admission Meeting. Students will complete a timed essay about their interest in nursing at the meeting. There will be some simple math conversion questions as well, example questions may be found at on the Sample Math Questions for Practical Nursing page. The admission meeting gives you a chance to meet the LPN faculty and gives us a chance to meet you as well and learn about your interest in nursing. We will give an overview of the LPN program, talk about immunization requirements, and answer general questions. This meeting is usually 2 hours long. View meeting times and dates here: PN Admission Meetings.
- Complete all required immunizations and tests.
- Two-step TB
- Hepatitis B
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR)
- Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (Tdap)
- Obtain your American Heart Association Basic Life Support Healthcare provider card (Only AHA BLS certifications are accepted for clinical placements in the Nursing program). Visit AHA Course Finder to find a BLS course near you.
- Complete the online application (coming soon!)
- Upload all required documentation to the online application (immunizations, CPR card, unofficial transcripts, copy of Kaplan Exam scores, etc).
Degrees & Certificates
Applications and Admissions
LPN Applications will open May 15 and close June 25, 2018
- Applying to the LPN program
- LPN Admissions Meeting Dates
- Disqualifying Factors
- Questions about immunizations
Potential Funding Opportunities
Contact & Location
- Email for general inquiries
- Call for appointment: 253-833-9111, ext. 2641
- Health Occupation Admissions
Career & Advising Center
Student Affairs & Success Building, 104
Green River College’s Nursing Program Pursues Pre- Accreditation Candidacy
The Green River College Practical Nursing program is pursuing pre-accreditation candidacy status from the National League for Nursing Commission for Nursing Education Accreditation (NLN CNEA), located at 2600 Virginia Avenue, NW, 8th Floor, Washington, DC 20037; phone 202-909-2500. Interested parties are invited to submit third party comments in writing directly to NLN CNEA, attention Betsy Frank, NLN CNEA Associate Director, no later than August 24, 2018.