Residency Requirements

The State of Washington has established specific criteria for students to qualify as residents for tuition paying purposes (references: RCW 28B.15 and WAC 250.18).

A resident student is one who is a U.S. Citizen, or has permanent or temporary resident status, or holds "Refugee-Parolee" or "Conditional Entrant" status with the United States Immigration and Naturalization Service or is otherwise permanently residing in the United States under code of law; and be either :

  1. Financially Independent Student: Have established a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington primarily for purposes other than education for a period of one year immediately before the first day of the quarter for which they have registered at any institution; and be financially independent.
  2. Financially Dependent Student: Be a dependent student with one or both of their parents or legal guardians having maintained a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington for at least one year immediately before the first day of the quarter for which they have registered at any institution.

Residency Reclassification:
To apply for residency reclassification students must submit the following information to the Office of the Registrar:

  • Residence Questionnaire and Checklist
  • Required documentation to support independent or dependent status
  • Required documentation to support previous twelve months domicile in Washington

Refer to the checklist for required documentation.

Students may apply for residency reclassification no later than the 30th calendar day of the quarter.

If you have questions please contact the Office of the Registrar by calling 253-833-9111, Ext. 2500.

Note these additional points:

  • Residence is not the equivalent of domicile only, must provide documentation supporting student’s financial independent or dependent status.
  • The domicile of a minor is normally that of the parents or legally appointed guardian.
  • International Students attending Green River who have been issued an I-20 form are classified as non-resident regardless of length of residency in Washington State.

Active Duty Military and Washington National Guard
Active duty military stationed in Washington, their spouses and dependents; Washington National Guard members; spouse or dependent of National Guard if residence is Washington are eligible to pay resident tuition. Must submit copy of orders to Washington and Military I.D.

Nonresident waiver for United States citizens and INS Permanent Residents
The Washington State Board for Community and Technical Colleges has authorized the colleges to waive a portion of the non-resident tuition rate for United State citizens and INS Permanent Residents who have not met the above criteria for in-state residency. Green River honors this automatic waiver at the time student makes application to the college.