Running Start is a fantastic opportunity to earn high school and college credit simultaneously, however, there are consequences which students should be aware of if they do not perform well academically. Not only do poor grades and incomplete credits impact a student's ability to graduate on time, but there are long-term consequences that may impact a student's financial aid eligibility or ability to transfer to a university. Therefore we uphold an Academic Standards Policy.
In order to make satisfactory academic progress, to remain eligible for Running Start, you must:
- Earn a minimum 2.0 quarterly grade point average (GPA) AND
- Earn a minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average (GPA) AND
- Complete at least 75% of credits enrolled each quarter (Failure to earn credit includes earning an “I,” “NC,” “W” or a grade below a 1.0 on your transcript)
By enrolling in Running Start at Green River, you are subjecting yourself to this policy. Failure to meet academic standards in any quarters will result in dismissal from the Running Start Program. Students have three opportunities to demonstrate satisfactory progress. Any third quarter of not meeting standard will result in dismissal from the Green River Running Start program.
Students are expected to know their academic status at all times. You may access your unofficial transcript here. Grades generally post to your transcript 5-7 days after the quarter ends. It is advisable to track your grades during the quarter so you are aware of your performance at any given time and can address concerns as they arise.
We want your experience as a Running Start student to be positive and productive. If you are struggling in classes, there are support services available to you, most of which are free including tutoring, advising, counseling and workshops. Please do not hesitate to contact staff for guidance and support.
Future Financial Aid Considerations
Financial aid eligibility at Green River will be affected by a student's academic performance in Running Start.
- Specifically, the Green River College Financial Aid Academic Progress policy states: "The College will look at all attempted credits regardless of the source of tuition payment."
- Time spent at Green River College reduces the overall time period students can be considered for financial aid because you are taking college level classes.
- Academic progress policies vary from institution to institution; protect your transcript by completing all attempted credits. See a Running Start advisor for questions.
If you have any questions about Running Start or would like to schedule an appointment to meet with an Educational Planner please do not hesitate to contact us!
Phone: 253-833-9111, ext. 2674
The Running Start Office is located in the Student Affairs Building (SA 122) on the Main Campus.
12401 SE 320th Street
Auburn, WA 98092-3699
Hours of Operation
|Monday - Tuesday|
|8 a.m. - 6 p.m.|
|Wednesday - Thursday|
|8 a.m. - 5 p.m.|
|9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.|
|View Closures & Special Hours|