Benefits of participating in Running Start
- Students and families can register for up to 15 tuition-free college credits per quarter based on high school enrollment.
- Earn high school and college credit simultaneously.
- With careful planning, students can earn an associate degree along with their high school diploma.
- Experience the rigor of college-level coursework and increased personal responsibility.
- Wide variety of classes and degree options.
- Flexible class schedule (day, afternoon, evening, hybrid, and online course options) at multiple campus locations (Auburn, Kent, and Enumclaw).
- Small class sizes (average class size is 32 students).
- Participate in college activities and leadership opportunities, with the exception of intercollegiate athletics.
Challenges of participating in Running Start
- Running Start is not entirely free. The average quarterly cost for a full-time Running Start student is approximately $200 in fees per quarter. Textbooks can range from $100-300+ per quarter. We have a Fee Waiver & Book Loan Program to students who qualify, which can reduce the cost of attendance.
- Classes move at a faster pace than high school; a year-long high school course is condensed into an 11 week quarter.
- Green River has a different break schedule than high school. Students are responsible for planning their schedules accordingly.
- Parent/guardian access to student records is limited. The College must abide by strict privacy rules. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) is a federal law that protects the privacy of student educational records without student written permission. We provide all Running Start students an opportunity to complete a Release of Information form.
- College is an adult learning environment. Courses may cover controversial issues.
- Students must arrange their own transportation to and from campus; parking is free.
If you have any questions about Running Start or would like to schedule an appointment to meet with an Educational Planner please do not hesitate to contact us!
Phone: 253-833-9111, ext. 2674
The Running Start Office is located in the Student Affairs Building (SA 122) on the Main Campus.
12401 SE 320th Street
Auburn, WA 98092-3699
Hours of Operation
|Monday - Tuesday|
|8 a.m. - 6 p.m.|
|Wednesday - Thursday|
|8 a.m. - 5 p.m.|
|9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.|
|View Closures & Special Hours|