Why Become a Host Family?
Education for a lifetime.
Green River College's Homestay Program has been connecting international
students with local community families for over 30 years. International students build lifelong bonds with their host families as they share their culture and learn how to adjust to a new life in a new country.
Host families report that one of the most rewarding things about hosting an international student is the friendships that are formed as they watch young students grow and flourish educationally and professionally.
Green River has always valued our host families and works with them to make sure it is an enjoyable experience for all involved.
In-person orientations at Green River College at 6:30 p.m. in the IVC building. See Campus Map. Sign up by completing the Orientation Sign Up Form.
Host families must be able to provide some basic amenities and living arrangements. See if you meet the minimum requirements to host an international student.
FAQ & Resources
FAQ and resources for host families and hosted students.
- GRC Host Families in 2023: 97
- Amount Paid to Host Families (per month): $950 (16 yr old) and $825 (17+)
- Application & Orientation Period: September 1 - September 25
Frequently Asked Questions
- Hosts must live no more than 60 minutes from campus by bus with no more than 1 transfer for students 17 or older. 16-year-old students are 30 minutes, no transfers. If you live further away, you must be willing to drive the students to campus or to a safe bus stop within that window.
- You must provide a dedicated bed, desk, chair, lamp, and clothing storage for each student, even if students are sharing a single room.
- Hosts provide food for 3 meals a day. Students prepare their own breakfast and lunch from provided food. Dinner should be prepared and the family should eat together as frequently as possible.
- English does not need to be your native language, but you must commit to speaking English only with students.
- Host must live in the home.
- Be sure that you are committed to hosting students, not just "renting rooms." Do not count on this as income; it is unreliable as an income source and we cannot guarantee you will have students
Host families receive a $100.00 check for every new student placed in your home. It should arrive about the same time as your student. It is collected from students prior to being placed with a host family. If your student cancels at the last minute, this is yours to keep.
The first month for 16-year-olds will be $850 and the first month for students older than 16 will be $725.
16-year-olds will be $950 and students older than 16 will be $825.
Follow us on:
The application deadline for students transferring from within the U.S. is 8 a.m. on the first day of in-person orientation.
|25 September 2023|
|14 December 2023|
|Preferred Application Deadline:|
|1 November 2023|
|Orientation Student (virtual)|
|13 & 14 December 2023|
|Orientation Parent (virtual)|
|15 December 2023|
|Arrival & Housing Move-in Day|
|27 December 2023|
|In-Person Orientation Day|
|28 December 2023|
|In-Person Parent Orientation|
|28 December 2023|
|3 January 2024|
|22 March 2024|
Green River College
12401 SE 320th Street
Auburn, WA USA 98092-3699
Hours of Operation
|Monday - Friday|
|9 a.m. - 5 p.m.|
|Saturday - Sunday|