Communications & Media Relations
Rapid, accurate and purposeful communication of key information and messages is essential. Precise communication minimizes the potential for any inaccurate, negative, or detrimental information being disseminated to all stakeholders. The College President or designee is responsible for authorizing all information to be released.
The primary sources for communicating any changes in operations are listed below:
- Campus Phone Paging/Public Address System: Announcements are made through all campus telephones. Digital campus phones in office and classrooms may receive a message from the EOC during a campus emergency. Please be sure the volume on these phones is turned up in order to best hear any message.
- Green River Safety Alerts (e2campus): This free subscription service allows students, employees and others to receive emergency alerts by text or email 24/7.
- Text Messages: Green River uses e2campus text messaging to alert subscribers to events affecting normal college operations. This is an opt-in system that requires registration confirmation and periodic renewal. Registration is free, although carrier message and data rates may apply.
- Green River website: An emergency message will post to the main page of the Green River College website.
- Social media: Green River will use college email to communicate with students and employees during and after an emergency. Timely notifications in compliance with the Clery Act will also be done through campus email from Campus Advisory email address.
- College email: Green River will use college email to communicate with students and employees during and after an emergency. Timely notifications in compliance with the Clery Act will also be done through campus email from Campus Advisory email address.
- Desktop/digital alerts: Announcements are posted on all desktop computers and digital signage throughout all campuses.
- Direct contact: An Emergency Operations Center member or designee will be dispatched to any college site that is being evacuated and will serve as a direct link to the college EOC.
- TV & Radio Stations: Information shared through FlashAlert will be available through local media outlets.
Any media inquiries received should be directly referred to GRC's Public Information Officer.
- Daytime/regular business hours: If severe conditions develop during regular business hours, the President's Office or the EOC will all staff, faculty and students by email. Additionally, Campus Safety will notify instructors and students in classrooms.
- Evening: Campus Safety will notify all faculty, staff and students still on campus by 3 p.m. (if possible).
- Overnight: If severe conditions develop overnight (or continue from the previous day), the decision to close campus will be made by 5 a.m., if possible, and off-campus notifications will begin immediately.
- Off-campus notifications: Radio and TV stations will be contacted to broadcast messages and all communications tools will be employed.
Click here for information about Narcan (Naloxone HCI) Opioid Overdose Response.
Contact Campus Safety
Non-Emergency: From any campus phone, dial 3350. All other phones 253-288-3350.
Safety Requests: firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of Campus Safety & Transportation: Derek Ronnfeldt
Alerts & Notifications
Sign up to receive safety, crime, traffic, training, and weather alerts on our Emergency & Safety Alerts page.