The primary objective of the ICS is the management of assigned resources for effective control of any situation. The ICS organization expands in a modular fashion based upon the type and complexity of the incident. The Incident Commander manages major functions until span of control restrictions require the delegation of emergency functions. Functions are delegated to the command and operational staff, who are equipped to manage the "hands-on" details of the incident.
The first person on the scene is considered the Incident Commander (IC) until he or she relinquishes it to an EOC member or emergency personnel. The IC shall be the "decision maker" for all issues during the declared emergency. The IC will use established procedures for guidance to protect the health, welfare and safety of the College and its community.
Emergency Operations Center Locations
The Emergency Operations Center is a designated location from which the Green River Emergency Operations Team will coordinate and gather the appropriate resources for the situation.
- The primary location for the EOC is the Administration (AD) Building Boardroom.
- In the event that the Boardroom in the Administration (AD) Building is part of the emergency or is unsafe, the secondary location will be the Facilities Department Conference Room in the Facilities Office (FO) Building.
Each section of the EOC will be responsible for keeping documentation during an emergency event including detailed notes, logs, observations and event summary.
Keeping accurate documentation during an emergency is critical as it is important to record historic data and assess and review college emergency procedures. The Clery Act requires all colleges and universities that participate in federal financial aid programs to keep and disclose information about crime on and near their respective campuses. Compliance is monitored by the United States Department of Education, which can impose civil penalties, up to $27,500 per violation, against institutions for each infraction and can suspend institutions from participating in federal student financial aid programs. The Director of Campus Safety will be responsible for any Clery Act documentation.
Logical response and recovery steps
- Emergency occurs
- Campus Safety calls emergency agencies
- Facilities calls the appropriate utilities as needed
- Incident Commander makes a decision to activate the EOC
- Once the EOC is activated, all Emergency Operations Center members are to meet at the Incident Command Center in a timely manner
- Further action is determined by the emergency and the Incident Commander