The Board of Trustees shall set direction for Green River Community College and represent the citizens of Community College District No. 10 in determining and requiring appropriate organizational performance. Specifically, the Board will concentrate on the following:
- Serving as the link between the College and the public.
- Determining and enacting written governing policies that will address:
- Governance Process: Specifications of how the Board envisions, carries out and monitors its own tasks.
- Board-Staff Relationships: How power is delegated and its proper use monitored; the president’s role, authority and accountability.
- Executive Limitations: Constraints on executive authority, which establish the prudence and ethics boundaries within which all executive activity and decisions take place.
- College Outcomes: College impacts, benefits, and end products and their relative worth. Answers the question, “What good, for which people or needs, at what cost?”
- Monitoring college performance and the president’s performance against established Board policies.
- Ensuring college compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Serving as a link between the College and the Green River College Foundation to ensure communication and coordination between the two boards.
- Promoting a positive image and advocating for the College.
- Keeping current with issues pertaining to higher education by participating in development and training opportunities including the following:
- Participating in the Washington State Association of College Trustees (ACT)
- Attending ACT new trustee orientation program
- Participating in advocacy activities such as legislative committee work and attending legislative sessions or functions
- Attending the annual Board of Trustees retreat
- Mentoring new Board members
History of Policy
Draft: 9/30/03, 12/12/03, 2/16/04
Revised: 10/17/13, 12/18/14, 11/21/19
- GP-1 Policy Governance Commitment
- GP-2 Governing Style
- GP-3 Board Job Description
- GP-4 Board Chairperson's Role
- GP-5 Community College District No. 10 Bylaws
- GP-6 Board Code of Ethics
- GP-7 Naming of Facilities
- GP-8 Civility and Mutual Respect
- GP-9 Participatory Governance
Board Staff Relationships
- BSR-1 Order Delegating Authority
- BSR-2 President's Job Description
- BSR-3 Monitoring Presidential Performance
- BSR-4 Staff Reports to the Board
- BSR-5 Other Board Interactions
- EL-1 General Executive Constraint
- EL-2 Treatment of People
- EL-3 Compensation and Benefits
- EL-4 Financial Planning/Forecasting
- EL-5 Financial Condition
- EL-6 Asset Protection
- EL-7 Communication/Counsel to the Board
- EL-8 Emergency Executive Succession
- EL-9 Reserves