In addition to the duties outlined in GP-5 (Article III of Community College District No. 10 Bylaws), the chairperson of the Board of Trustees is primarily charged with maintaining the integrity of the Board’s processes. The chairperson is secondarily responsible for representing the Board to outside parties. The chairperson is the only Board member who is authorized to speak on behalf of the Board (beyond simply reporting Board decisions) other than in rare or otherwise authorized instances. Specifically, the chairperson will do the following:
- Ensure that the Board behaves consistent with its own rules and those legitimately imposed upon the Board from outside the College.
- Preside at Board meetings in an efficient and effective manner including:
- Ensure that other Board members are informed of current and pending Board issues.
- Lead discussion on issues, which according to Board policy, belong to the Board to decide.
- Ensure that deliberations will be fair, open and thorough, but also efficient, timely, orderly and to the point.
- Work closely with the president to set Board meeting agendas as described in GP-5 (Article II of Community College District No.10 Bylaws).
- Assign members to serve as liaisons to the Green River College Foundation and on appropriate College committees.
- Serve as or appoint designee to serve as the Green River Board liaison to ACT.
- The chairperson has no individual authority to supervise or direct the president.
- In absence of the chairperson, the vice-chairperson will assume the responsibilities of the chairperson.
History of Policy
Draft: September 30, 2003, December 12, 2003, January 13, 2004, February 16, 2004
Adopted: April 15, 2004
Reviewed: October 10, 2019
Revised: October 17, 2013, December 18, 2014, October 20, 2016, November 21, 2019
- GP-1 Policy Governance Commitment
- GP-2 Governing Style
- GP-3 Board Job Description
- GP-4 Board Chairperson's Role
- GP-5 Community College District No. 10 Bylaws
- GP-6 Board Code of Ethics
- GP-7 Naming of Facilities
- GP-8 Civility and Mutual Respect
- GP-9 Participatory Governance
Board Staff Relationships
- BSR-1 Order Delegating Authority
- BSR-2 President's Job Description
- BSR-3 Monitoring Presidential Performance
- BSR-4 Staff Reports to the Board
- BSR-5 Other Board Interactions
- EL-1 General Executive Constraint
- EL-2 Treatment of People
- EL-3 Compensation and Benefits
- EL-4 Financial Planning/Forecasting
- EL-5 Financial Condition
- EL-6 Asset Protection
- EL-7 Communication/Counsel to the Board
- EL-8 Emergency Executive Succession
- EL-9 Reserves