The Board expects ethical conduct by itself and its members. This includes proper use of authority and appropriate decorum in both group and individual behavior when acting as Board members.
- Board members must maintain un-conflicted loyalty to the interests of the citizens and the district. This accountability supersedes any conflicting loyalty such as that to advocacy or interest groups and membership on other boards or staffs. This accountability supersedes the personal interest of any Board member acting as an individual consumer of college services.
- Board members must avoid any conflict of interest with respect to their fiduciary responsibility.
- There must be no self-dealing or any conduct of private business or personal services between any Board member and the College except as allowed by Chapter 42.52 RCW.
- Board members must not use their positions to obtain employment by the College for themselves, family members, friends or associates.
- Board members shall abstain from votes upon which they have an appearance of a conflict of interest.
- The Board speaks with one voice, and Board members may not attempt to exercise individual authority over the organization except as explicitly set forth in Board policies.
- Board members' interaction with the president or with staff must recognize the lack of authority in any individual Board member or group of Board members except as noted above.
- Board members' interaction with the public, press or other entities must recognize the same limitation and the similar inability of any Board member to speak for the Board except for those duties reserved to the chairperson.
- Board members will make no judgments of presidential performance except as that performance is assessed against explicit Board policies.
History of Policy
Draft: September 30, 2003, December 12, 2003, February 16, 2004
Adopted: April 15, 2004
Revised: October 17, 2013
- GP-1 Policy Governance Commitment
- GP-2 Governing Style
- GP-3 Board Job Description
- GP-4 Board Chairperson's Role
- GP-5 Community College District No. 10 Bylaws
- GP-6 Board Code of Ethics
- GP-7 Naming of Facilities
- GP-8 Civility and Mutual Respect
- GP-9 Participatory Governance
Board Staff Relationships
- BSR-1 Order Delegating Authority
- BSR-2 President's Job Description
- BSR-3 Monitoring Presidential Performance
- BSR-4 Staff Reports to the Board
- BSR-5 Other Board Interactions
- EL-1 General Executive Constraint
- EL-2 Treatment of People
- EL-3 Compensation and Benefits
- EL-4 Financial Planning/Forecasting
- EL-5 Financial Condition
- EL-6 Asset Protection
- EL-7 Communication/Counsel to the Board
- EL-8 Emergency Executive Succession
- EL-9 Reserves