To protect the employee and the campus community by requiring medical certification of fitness for duty when an employee is absent from work due to a medical condition.
This policy applies to all Green River College employees.
It is the policy of Green River College to require a medical provider's certification that an employee is fit to work, or fit to return to work under the following requirements:
- The employee has been absent due to a reported medical condition for five days or more.
- The employee may be suffering from an illness, disease or condition that may put him/her or the campus community at risk.
- At any time when Green River has reason to suspect misue of leave by an employee.
Under the conditions listed above, Green River will notify the employee that medical certification is required. If required, but not submitted, the employee will be asked to:
- Leave their workstation and return home
- Their return to work may be delayed until certificaion is submitted
- Other appropriate disciplinary action may be taken.
History of Policy or Procedure
Draft: January 24, 2003
Adopted: April 5, 2005
Revised: December 4, 2015; June 1, 2017
Reviewed by: President’s Staff
Contact: Sheryl Gordon, Benefits Manager, ext. 2604
President’s Staff Sponsor: Marshall Sampson, Vice President of Human Resources & Legal Affairs, ext. 3315
Human Resources Policies
Hiring and Onboarding
- HR-11 Employment of Relatives
- HR-12 Background Verification
- HR-13 Relocation Compensation
- HR-17 New Employee Orientation Program
- HR-21 Suspended Operations - Employee's Leave Options
- HR-22 Nondiscrimination Policies & Discrimination Complaint Procedures
- HR-23 Leave without Pay
- HR-24 Administrative/Exempt Position Title Change
- HR-25 Layoff Procedure for Non-rep Classified
- HR-31 FMLA
- HR-32 Retirement Medical Expense Plan (VEBA)
- HR-33 SBRP (TIAA) Retirement
- HR-34 PERS and TRS Plan Retirement
- HR-35 Shared Leave Policy
- HR-36 Fitness for Duty Policy
- HR-37 Domestic Violence Leave
- HR-38 Vacation Policy