Provide information and procedures for students to request degree exception.
All students, staff, faculty and administrators of Green River College.
Degree Exception Committee: chaired by the Director of Enrollment Services/Registrar, includes as members: the Vice President of Instruction or designee, Director of the Career and Advising Center, an Instructional Dean, a Professional/Technical Dean, faculty selected by their divisions, and a Curriculum Development representative. The committee will review and vote on student requests for exception to specific degree requirements.
In some cases, students may wish to appeal graduation requirements. Degree Exception does not eliminate credit amount, it only substitutes a particular requirement. Exceptions to degree requirements may be considered; as long as the program of study’s academic integrity is maintained as voted on by the Degree Exception Committee.
Students may graduate using the degree requirements in effect during their first quarter of enrollment at Green River College for up to six (6) years. After six years, students need to meet the requirements listed in the current catalog. Students may petition the Degree Exception Committee with a 1) proof of continuous enrollment or 2) request for degree exception to be exempt from this policy.
The Degree Exception Committee Request form is located at the Enrollment Services’ Records Office.
- The student completes the top-front page and Part 1.
- The student’s advisor completes Part 2.
- The department dean completes Part 3.
- After Parts 1-3 are completed, the form must be submitted to the Enrollment Services’ Records Office for processing.
- After the committee meets, the student will receive written notification as to the result of the request.
The Degree Exception Committee meets twice during each of the fall, winter and spring quarters.
Green River College Degree Exception Committee
Green River College Instructional Council
Green River College President’s Staff
Green River College Board of Trustees
History of Policy or Procedure
Draft: October 10, 2006
Adopted: June 29, 2007
Revised: August 22, 2012
Contact: Denise Bennatts, Director of Enrollment Services/Registrar, ext. 2510
President’s Staff Sponsor: Dr. Deborah Casey, Vice President of Student Affairs, ext. 3328
- SA 1 Academic Standards & Progress Policy
- SA 2 Academic Honors
- SA-3 Audit a Class
- SA-4 Admissions
- SA-5 Deceased Student
- SA-6 Grades: Changing
- SA-7 Grades: Definitions
- SA-8 Grades: Obtaining
- SA-9 Transcripts
- SA-13 Financial Aid Application Process
- SA-14 Federal Direct Loan Program
- SA-15 Financial Aid Eligibility
- SA-16 Return of Financial Aid Funds
- SA-17 Satisfactory Progress for Financial Aid
- SA-18 Notification on Convicted Sexual Offenders
- SA-19 Personal Violence, Harassment & Assault
- SA-20 Degree Exception
- SA-22 Graduation Criteria
- SA-24 Student Acceptable Computer Use Policy
- SA-25 Grades: Incomplete Agreement
- SA-26 Age Exemption Policy
- SA-27 Missing Student Policy
- SA-28 Disclosure of Crime Statistics
- SA-29 Facility Access & Maintenance for Safety
- SA-30 Fire Safety Education for CCA
- SA-31 Reporting Crimes and Other Emergencies
- SA-89 Transfer Credit
- SA-90 Prior Learning Assessment
- SA-91 College Holiday & Leave Policy
- SA-92 Timely Warning Notifications
- SA-93 Emergency Notification Policy