Policy Type: Student Affairs
Policy Title: Degree Exception
Policy Number: SA-20
Provide information and procedures for substitutions of requirements for program of study (degree, certificate, or diploma) completion.
All students, staff, faculty and administrators of Green River College.
Degree Exception Committee: Chaired by the Registrar, the committee is comprised of representatives from each academic division, the Instructional Support Office, and Student Affairs. The committee reviews requests and votes on the applicability of substitutions for specific degree requirements.
Note: During summer quarter, division chairs will represent when other faculty are not available or are otherwise not on contract.
Every student enrolled in a degree or certificate program at the college must meet the requirements of that program of study, as defined by the College catalog. A granted Degree Exception does not eliminate the required credit amount; it only substitutes a particular requirement. Exceptions to program of study requirements may be considered as long as the program of study’s academic integrity is maintained as voted on by the Degree Exception Committee. Course substitutions will be approved only when such substitutions are consistent with the requirements of the program of study. Course substitutions cannot be made for Direct Transfer Agreement degree requirements. Decisions made by the Degree Exception Committee are final.
Students may graduate using the program of study requirements in effect during their first quarter of enrollment in that program at Green River College for up to six (6) years. After six years, students must meet the requirements listed in the current catalog. Students may petition the Degree Exception Committee with either a) proof of continuous enrollment or b) request for degree exception. See SA-22 Graduation Criteria for additional information.
- All required documentation must be completed and returned to the Office of the Registrar Office in SA-280.
- Student must attach a copy of the requirements for the program of study they are completing.
- The Degree Exception Committee will review and vote on each request
- Students will be contacted through their ctcLink Message Center with the committee’s decision within two (2) business days of the Degree Exception Committee meeting.
- If the Degree Exception Request is denied, the committee will provide the rationale in the response to the student.
Note: The Degree Exception Committee meets twice during each of the fall, winter and spring quarters.
State Board for Community and Technical Colleges; Green River College
History of Policy or Procedure:
Draft: April 5, 2023
Adopted: June 29, 2007
Revised: August 22, 2012; April 14, 2020; April 5, 2023
Reviewed by: Registrar; Student Affairs Leadership Team
Contact: Jenny Wheeler, director of the office of the registrar, ext 3411
President’s Staff Sponsor: David Larsen, Dean of Enrollment and Completion, 253-833-9111, ext. 3307, email@example.com
- SA 1 Academic Standards & Progress Policy
- SA 2 Academic Honors
- SA-3 Audit a Class
- SA-4 Admissions
- SA-5 Deceased Student
- SA-6 Grading Policy
- SA-9 Transcripts
- SA-13 Financial Aid Application Process
- SA-14 Federal Direct Loan Program
- SA-15 Financial Aid Eligibility
- SA-16 Return of Financial Aid Funds
- SA-17 Satisfactory Progress for Financial Aid
- SA-18 Notification on Convicted Sexual Offenders
- SA-20 Degree Exception
- SA-22 Graduation Criteria
- SA-24 Student Acceptable Computer Use Policy
- SA-27 Missing Student Policy
- SA-28 Disclosure of Crime Statistics
- SA-29 Facility Access & Maintenance for Safety
- SA-30 Fire Safety Education for CCA
- SA-31 Reporting Crimes and Other Emergencies
- SA-89 Transfer Credit
- SA-90 Academic Credit for Prior Learning
- SA-91 College Holiday & Leave Policy
- SA-92 Timely Warning Notifications
- SA-93 Emergency Notification Policy