Policy Type: Student Affairs
Policy Title: Graduation Criteria
Policy Number: SA-22
Provide graduation eligibility criteria, information, and procedures for students.
All students, staff, faculty and administrators of Green River College.
Commencement Ceremony: An annual ceremony and special occasion that provides public recognition of the academic achievements of students after their successful completion of a program of study. Student participation in the ceremony is not required in order to graduate.
Degree Exception Committee: Chaired by the Registrar, committee is comprised of representatives from Instruction and Student Affairs. The committee reviews and votes on student requests for exception to specific degree requirements. See Policy SA-20 Degree Exception for additional information.
Graduation: Completion of an educational program of study, to include high school diplomas, certificates, associate’s degrees, and bachelors of applied science degrees.
To be eligible for graduation, students must have accomplished the following:
- Completed all college and program admissions requirements
- Complete at least 24 credits at Green River College (does not pertain to high school diploma or professional and technical certificate candidates)
- Completed all program of study requirements as specified by the Green River College catalog, including minimum grade point average as specified by your program of study
Students may graduate using the program of study requirements in effect during their first quarter of enrollment in that program at Green River College for up to six (6) years. After six years, students must meet the requirements listed in the current catalog. Students may petition the Degree Exception Committee with either a) proof of continuous enrollment or b) request for degree exception. See Policy SA-20: Degree Exception for additional information.
Students may graduate at the end of any quarter.
Participation in Commencement Ceremony
Green River College’s annual commencement ceremony is held at the end of each academic year. Students are eligible to participate in the annual commencement ceremony if they complete their program of study requirements by the end of summer quarter immediately following the end of the prior academic year.
Participation in the commencement ceremony does not constitute graduation or completion of a program of study; graduation occurs only after a student meets all criteria.
Students should submit an Intent to Graduate form to the Office of the Registrar when they are at least one quarter from completing their program of study. Students are encouraged to utilize the Degree Audit tool to track their progress towards program completion.
Applicants are notified in writing (using Green River College-issued student email) once graduation eligibility has been evaluated as to their degree or certificate completion status.
Upon completion of a program of study, diplomas and certificates are mailed to students once graduation requirements are met and credentials are posted to official transcripts.
State Board of Community and Technical Colleges
American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers
Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
History of Policy or Procedure:
Draft: October 10, 2006
Adopted: June 29, 2007
Revised: January 5th, 2020
Reviewed by: Dean of Enrollment and Completion; Registrar; Student Affairs Leadership Team
Contact: Jenny Wheeler, Registrar, ext. 3411
President’s Staff Sponsor: Dr. Deborah Casey, Vice President of Student Affairs, ext. 3328
- SA 1 Academic Standards & Progress Policy
- SA 2 Academic Honors
- SA-3 Audit a Class
- SA-4 Admissions
- SA-5 Deceased Student
- SA-6 Grading Policy
- SA-9 Transcripts
- SA-13 Financial Aid Application Process
- SA-14 Federal Direct Loan Program
- SA-15 Financial Aid Eligibility
- SA-16 Return of Financial Aid Funds
- SA-17 Satisfactory Progress for Financial Aid
- SA-18 Notification on Convicted Sexual Offenders
- SA-20 Degree Exception
- SA-22 Graduation Criteria
- SA-24 Student Acceptable Computer Use Policy
- SA-26 Age Exemption Policy
- SA-27 Missing Student Policy
- SA-28 Disclosure of Crime Statistics
- SA-29 Facility Access & Maintenance for Safety
- SA-30 Fire Safety Education for CCA
- SA-31 Reporting Crimes and Other Emergencies
- SA-89 Transfer Credit
- SA-90 Academic Credit for Prior Learning
- SA-91 College Holiday & Leave Policy
- SA-92 Timely Warning Notifications
- SA-93 Emergency Notification Policy