SA-95 Academic Credit for Military Training


This policy is intended to:

  • describe the acceptance of transferred-in credits for service members, and
  • meet the requirements of RCW 28B.10.057 by awarding academic credit for military training.


Service members and veterans of any branch of the United States armed services, staff and administrators of Green River College.


Memorandum of Understanding (MOU): An agreement between two or more parties outlined in a formal document.

Articulated Transfer Agreements: A pathway between two or more colleges or universities and their academic programs, also called transfer agreements, transfer guides, and transfer pathways.

ACE: American Council on Education is a membership organization that mobilizes the higher education community to shape effective public policy and foster innovative, high-quality practice.

Joint Services Transcript (JST): Provides a description of military schooling and work history in civilian language, serves as a counseling tool for academic and career counselors in advising service members and veterans.


Acceptance of transferred credits for service members:

Per the Memorandum of Understanding with the Department of Defense (DoD MOU), service members may view and review Green River College’s Transfer Credit Policy (located here: SA-89 Transfer Credit - Green River College ) and are encouraged to do so prior to enrollment. Acceptance of any transferred credits is determined by the educational institution to which the student wishes to transfer.

Awarding Academic Credit for Military Training:

The academic credit awarded for prior military training is granted only for training that is applicable to the student’s degree or certificate requirements at Green River. Credits will be transferred based on ACE credit recommendations, in consultation with academic departments. Green River College enrolled students who are veterans of any branch of the United States Armed Services, who wish to receive transfer credit, must provide an official Joint Services Transcript (JST) through the armed services in which they served, from the Community College of the Air Force or any other college/university attended.


  • Any appeal regarding the college’s determination to award credit for prior learning or career experience must be made through the Instruction Student Complaint Process.
  • Recommended for credit by a national higher education association that provides credit recommendations for military training programs;
  • Included in the individual’s military transcript issued by any branch of the armed services;
  • Documented military training or experience that is substantially equivalent to any course or program offered by the institution of higher education.


The individual must be enrolled at Green River College and have successfully completed any military training course or program as part of the military service that is:

Upon receipt of the official transcript and transcript evaluation request, the following actions will occur:

  • Upon receipt, the Records Office will evaluate the transcript for any academic (general education) credits earned, posting to the student record as applicable.
  • Technical classes that require more review to determine a direct equivalency will be forwarded to appropriate program faculty along with the course description and the accompanying ACE (American Council on Education) course recommendation.
  • Military credit recommendations that are direct equivalents to Green River College course offerings may be articulated to that specific course. If direct course equivalencies do not exist, elective credit (non-direct equivalent) will be awarded when possible. Both direct and non-direct equivalents must be applicable toward the student’s program of study.
  • The Records Office will post the credit to the student record and then notify the student of credits accepted with directions on how to access their Degree Audit - Green River College so they may view credit applicability to their program of study.
  • In the case of a change of program, the student must notify the Records Office so the transfer credit may be re-evaluated and applied to the student record as applicable. 

Veterans using VA educational benefits:

  • Per the Veteran’s Administration, all veteran student transfer credit must be evaluated within two quarters of program start. After the third quarter, if the student does not submit all transcripts, he/she may be de-certified for the use of VA education benefits.
  • Veteran students using education benefits are not permitted to opt out of transfer credit evaluation.
  • Note: It is recommended that students consult with the Veteran Services Office to discuss funding implications related to applying military credits to their degree or certificate plan.


Specific Authority:

Department of Defense Memorandum of Understanding


Law Implemented:

RCW 28B.10.057

RCW 28B.77.230


History of Policy or Procedure:

Draft: April 2021

Adopted: May 27, 2021

Reviewed by: Student Affairs Leadership Team

Contact: Jenny Wheeler, Director of Office of the Registrar/Registrar, ext. 2510

President’s Staff Sponsor: Dr. Deborah Casey, Vice President of Student Affairs, ext. 3328