Public Information Requests
The Open Public Records Act requires that records maintained by state, county, and city governments be made available to the public.
Green River College is a state agency subject to the Washington State Public Disclosure Act (RCW 42.56). The Public Disclosure Act provides a framework of model rules in Chapter 44-14 WAC to assist agencies in responding to disclosure requests. Guidelines applicable to public disclosure requests received by Green River College are outlined below.
Green River College and its employees are required to maintain all documents and records pertaining to its conduct and performance. Public disclosure requests may include:
- Employee or former employee records
- Student records
- Bids or RFP submissions
- Public safety reports
- Financial records
- College statistics
Public records can be written documents, recordings, photos, electronic disks, magnetic tape or email correspondence. All records maintained by Green River College are available for public inspection unless specifically exempted by law. Public records are accessible under reasonable conditions. You do not have to explain why you want to access a public record although we may ask you clarifying questions to process your request.
We are not required to create records. If a record does not exist, then we cannot fulfill your request for public information.
Washington State law specifically exempts some records from public disclosure. Exemptions are designed to protect the privacy of individuals, protect law enforcement or other investigative agencies processes or the legitimate business interests of citizens. Exemptions include, but are not limited to:
- Information regarding staff and faculty, such as social security numbers, home phone numbers, home addresses, resumes and employment applications
- Student personal information including school and medical records
- Pending investigative records and some final investigative records
- Examination test scores
- Data that, if disclosed, could result in private gain and/or public loss
- Most correspondence between agency staff and the Attorney General's Office
- Information from certain records which would constitute an invasion of privacy as defined in (RCW 42.56.210)
In some cases, we may redact portions of a public record exempt from disclosure. It is our obligation to tell you why a record is exempt.
Green River is generally required to respond to a public disclosure request for identifiable public records prepared, owned or used by the college within five business days. Responses to a public disclosure request may include:
- Acknowledging receipt of the request and/or providing an estimate of the time required to comply with the request;
- Providing the requested record(s) directly to the requestor;
- Requesting clarification regarding a request;
- Providing records in installments;
- Providing the requestor with a link to a website to view specific documents;
- Withholding records exempt from disclosure.
Additional clarifying information may be needed to fulfill your request. To assure public disclosure requests are processed in a timely manner, we require sufficient and detailed information to help us properly identify and search for the requested record.
Requests for public records at Green River may be made in writing, by email correspondence, or submitted through this web portal to Green River's Public Records Office. To make a public disclosure request, please include the following information:
- Your name
- Full mailing address
- Contact phone number
- Email address
- Detailed description of the requested record(s)
- Indicate how you would like to receive the record:
- Review the records in person at the college
- Have copies mailed
- Receive documents on a DVD
- Provided electronically via web portal
Email requests should be sent to: email@example.com
Send a written request to:
Public Records Manager
Green River College
12401 SE 320th ST; MS-HR
Auburn, WA 98092-3622
By web portal:
Go to https://greenrivercollegewa.nextrequest.com/requests/new
Yes, but you do not have to make a public records request to view your own employee file. Instead, a request to see information in your employee file may be submitted to Human Resources. Human Resources may be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or 253-288-3320.
Yes, but you do not have a make a public records request to view or obtain your own student records. Student Affairs retains all student records. For academic records, you may log in to the Online Services webpage with your SID and PIN to get copies of your information. Alternatively, you may contact the Registrar's Office at RegistrarsOffice@greenriver.edu or 253-288-3383. All other student records requests may be managed through the normal public records process and will require release authorization from the student in question.
No. Requests for public records are subject to public disclosure.
Public Records Manager
Green River College
12401 SE 320th Street; MS-HR
Auburn, WA 98092
Washington's Public Records Act