Public Information

Public Information Requests

The Open Public Records Act requires that records maintained by state, county, and city governments be made available to the public.

Green River College is a state agency subject to the Washington State Public Disclosure Act (RCW 42.56). The Public Disclosure Act provides a framework of model rules in Chapter 44-14 WAC to assist agencies in responding to disclosure requests. Guidelines applicable to public disclosure requests received by Green River College are outlined below.

What is a public record?

Green River College and its employees are required to maintain all documents and records pertaining to its conduct and performance. Public disclosure requests may include:

  • Employee or former-employee records
  • Student records
  • Bids or RFP submissions
  • Public safety reports
  • Financial records
  • College statistics

Public records can be written documents, recordings, photos, electronic disks, magnetic tape or email correspondence. All records maintained by Green River College are available for public inspection unless specifically exempted by law. Public records are accessible under reasonable conditions. You do not have to explain why you want to access a public record although we may ask you clarifying questions to process your request.

We are not required to create records. If a record does not exist, then we cannot fulfill your request for public information.

What records are not subject to public disclosure?

Washington State law specifically exempts some records from public disclosure. Exemptions are designed to protect the privacy of individuals, protect law enforcement or other investigative agencies processes or the legitimate business interests of citizens.<br /><br />Exemptions include, but are not limited to:

  • Information regarding staff and faculty, such as social security numbers, home phone numbers, home addresses, resumes and employment applications
  • Student personal information including school and medical records
  • Investigative records relating to current enforcement
  • Examination test scores
  • Data that if disclosed could result in private gain and/or public loss
  • Correspondence between agency staff and the Attorney General's Office
  • Information from certain records which would constitute an invasion of privacy as defined in (RCW 42.56.210)

In some cases, we may redact portions of a public record exempt from disclosure. It is our obligation to tell you why a record is exempt.

If you want to review or get copies of the non-public information listed above, it will be necessary for the college to request an Attorney General's opinion about this information. The Attorney General's office has up to 12 weeks to make a decision on whether the information is public or not public.

How long will a public records request take to fulfill?

Green River is generally required to respond to a public disclosure request for identifiable public records prepared, owned or used by the college within five business days. Responses to a public disclosure request may include:

  • Acknowledging receipt of the request and/or providing an estimate of the time required to comply with the request;
  • Providing the requested record(s) directly to the requestor;
  • Requesting clarification regarding a request;
  • Providing records in installments;
  • Providing the requestor with a link to a website to view specific documents;
  • Withholding records exempt from disclosure.

Additional information may be needed for clarification to fulfill your request. To assure public disclosure requests are processed in a timely manner, complete and detailed information is required.

How do I request a public record?

Requests for public records at Green River may be made in writing, by email correspondence, or submitted through our web form to Green River's Public Records Office. To make a public disclosure request, please include the following information:

  • Your name
  • Full mailing address
  • Contact phone number
  • Email address
  • Detailed description of the requested record(s)
  • Indicate how you would like to receive the record:
    • Review the records in person at the college
    • Have copies mailed at a cost of $ .10 per page
    • Receive documents on a DVD at a cost of $1.95 per disc plus postage
    • Sent electronically by email (free of charge)

By email:

Email requests should be sent to:

By mail:

Send a written request to: 

Public Records Manager
Green River College
12401 SE 320th ST; MS-HR
Auburn, WA 98092-3622

I'm an employee. May I make a public records request to see my employee file?

Yes. A request to see information in your employee file may be submitted to Human Resources. Human Resources may be contacted at extension 3320.

I'm a student. May I make a public records request to see my educational records?

Yes. Student Affairs retains all student records. For academic records, contact Enrollment Services at extension 2500. For any other type of student record, complete and submit a Public Records Request Form.

Is my request for public records confidential?

No. Requests for public records are subject to public disclosure.

Related Information

Public Records Manager
Green River College
12401 SE 320th Street; MS-HR
Auburn, WA 98092
Phone: 253-288-3361
Fax: 253-288-3393

Washington's Public Records Act
RCW 42.56