Host Family FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions


I want to host international students. How can I qualify?

You are eligible to become a host family if the commute from your front door to Green River College is less than 45 minutes, including all transfers and walking time. If you live further away, you must be willing to commit to driving the students to campus or to a safe bus stop that shortens their commute on a daily basis. English must be the primary language spoken and written in your home. Please be sure that you are committed to hosting students, not just "renting rooms." Do not count on this as income; it is unreliable as an income source and we cannot guarantee you will have students. The students can always tell when a host is doing this for the money and they will move out and complain to their friends and the housing staff. Please also note that adults must live in the home and a complete background check will be done on those living in the home over the age of 18.

We will answer all of your questions and have applications available at the orientation.

What is the housing deposit?

Host families receive a $100.00 check for every new student placed in your home. It should arrive about the same time as your student. It is collected from students prior to being placed with a host family. If your student cancels at the last minute, this is yours to keep.

How much do I charge the student for the 1st month?

The first month for 16-year-olds will be $850 and the first month for students older than 16 will be $725. 

What do I charge for the following months?

16-year-olds will be $950 and students older than 16 will be $825.

What if my student says they or the agent paid the school their money?

Believe them! Call us to verify this is correct, then have your student come to the office to pick up their refund check after they receive an email instructing them to do so.

What paperwork do I need to turn in to be paid the $100.00 Airport Greeter fee?

Client Services Agreement, W-9 & The Airport Greeter Invoice (signed by your student).

When is the paperwork deadline?

Two weeks after arrival or you may turn it into the Green River staff at the airport.

What extras can I charge my students for?


What if my student has a friend that wants to move in with us?

Contact the Housing Office. At no time should a student move into your home without our knowledge.

Where can I take my student for banking needs?

We recommend the Auburn branches of Wells Fargo and Chase. Both these locations will give students under 18 a checking account with a debit card. This way they don't have to carry cash around. Bank of America will also support our students, but students under 18 are unable to open a checking account. They have a limited number of withdrawals available during the quarter.

Where can I take my student if he/she is sick or injured?

We recommend taking your student to a MultiCare location. We have worked to make the process as smooth as possible when working with them. You will need to bring the student's medical release form and proper identification. They will ask you to sign a form consenting to treatment that is acceptable with their medical release. Do NOT sign anything that says you are financially responsible. Email or come by the IP office with questions. Call the emergency line if there is an emergency after you have called 911.

Where can I take my student if he/she needs dental assistance?

William Sutton, DDS provides reduced rates for students. He is located at 1002 Harvey Road, Auburn: 253-833-2290. Alternatively, students can purchase dental insurance through LewerMark Student Insurance for rates starting at $17.75 per month.

Who do I call if there is an EMERGENCY?

Call Cyndi Rapier at 253-740-8422

Get Started

How to Apply to International Programs

Request Information from International Programs

Contact Us

Phone: 253-288-3300
Fax: 253-333-4940
Zoom: Virtual Lobby

Follow us on:

Upcoming Dates

Application deadline for students transferring from within the U.S. is by 8 a.m. on the first day of the quarter.

Fall Term
Classes Start:
19 September 2022
Classes End:
8 December 2022
Winter Term
Preferred Application Deadline:
1 November 2022
Orientation Student (virtual)
14 & 15 December 2022
Orientation Parent (virtual)
16  December 2022 
Arrival & Housing Move-in Day
28 December 2022
In-Person Orientation Day
29 December 2022 
Classes Start:
3 January 2023
Classes End:
23 March 2023


Green River College
IVD Building
12401 SE 320th Street
Auburn, WA USA 98092-3699

International Programs Main Campus Map

Hours of Operation

Monday - Friday
9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Saturday - Sunday

View Closures & Special Hours