International Student Employment

Green River College International Programs

The welcome crew make sure new students feel welcome during orientation week.
Welcome crew are hired to help students find their way around campus and feel welcome during Orietnation Week.

The employment information below is intended for F-1 Students only. M-1 and J-1 Students seeking employment information should contact their International Student Advisor.

As an International Student your F-1 Student status allows you to work on-campus at Green River College. F-1 Students are not allowed to work off-campus unless they have been authorized to do so. The U.S. government takes working illegally very seriously and could cause a student to lose their F-1 visa status. Before accepting any kind of employment, be sure it is allowed by the F-1 regulations.

Please note: IEP students must finish the IEP program before they are eligible for employment.

On-Campus Employment

Your Green River College I-20 is your proof of work eligibility for on-campus employment at Green River College only and you must maintain F-1 status to be eligible for employment. Maintaining F-1 status means:

  • Enrolled in 12 or more credits (except for official school breaks and the annual vacation quarter)
  • In good academic standing
  • You have a valid (i.e. non-expired) I-20

Students may not work on-campus after graduation unless they have been authorized to do so. For questions about working after graduation contact your International Student Advisor.

You can find job openings on-campus by going to different departments on campus and ask if there are student jobs available. Some of the departments that hire students are:

  • Student Life
  • Tutoring & Resource Center
  • International Programs
  • Technology Center
  • TRIO
  • Paper Tree Bookstore
  • Math Learning Center
  • Disability Support Services
  • Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion

Other ways you can find job openings on-campus are:

  • Flyers posted in the International Programs office (IVD reception area) or other areas of campus
  • Word of mouth (Advisors, Instructors, Peers, Etc.)
  • GRC IP Facebook, Twitter and the IP Advisor Newsletter

Resume & Cover Letter Resources

In order to apply for a job you most likely will need a resume and cover letter. A resume is an informative summary that highlights your skills, knowledge, experience and education that you will submit to a hiring manager when applying for a job

A cover letter is a one page document that you typically send with your resume when applying for a job. A cover letter is how you will introduce yourself to the hiring manager and show your interest in the job you are applying for.

Accepting Employment

You have been offered a job on campus, now what?

In order to obtain employment in the U.S. you will need a Social Security Number (SSN). You will need to apply for a SSN in person at a local Social Security office (address below) and you must bring the following documents with you to the Social Security office (documents must be current (not expired) and must be originals):

It takes approximately 2-4 weeks from the day you apply for you to receive your social security number (SSN) in the mail. You cannot start working prior to receiving your social security number (SSN) unless you provide the receipt from the social security Administration that states you applied for your SSN number.

The closest Social Security office is their Kent Office which is located at 321 Ramsay Way (suite 401), at Kent Station next to the Green River College Kent Campus. Bus route #164 travels between Green River College and Kent Station. Expect long wait times (up to 3 hours) at the Social Security Office, the best days to go is Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday and the worst days to go are Monday, Tuesday or the day after a holiday.

Work Hours

International students on an F-1 visa may work on-campus up to 20 hours per week (part-time) while school is in session, and more than 20 hours per week (full-time) during a vacation quarter and between quarters, provided they continue as a student the following quarter.

Green River College may have additional restrictions on how many hours a position may work.

Income Taxes

Students who work in the U.S. and earned income from their job will need to file an income tax return at the end of each calendar year and may be eligible for a tax refund.

The Green River International Programs Office is not responsible for you filing your taxes and we do not have the training or legal authority to provide assistance or advice in regards to filing taxes. All IRS forms, form instructions, help and resources, and publications are available for download at Students are free to hire tax consultants on their own.

Additional resources:

 If you have tax questions you should contact a tax consultant or seek advice from a tax professional. Any information provided by Green River College is not intended to substitute for professional tax advice.

Eligibility for Unemployment Benefits

Eligibility for unemployment benefits is a complicated combination of immigration and labor laws. There is some concern that accepting unemployment benefits could count as being a “public charge” and potentially affect eligibility for future immigration benefits. We recommend consulting an immigration attorney before applying for unemployment benefits to learn more about potential consequences.

Off-Campus Employment

F-1 students must apply for and have written authorization from USCIS before beginning any type of off campus work. Working off campus without authorization is illegal. In order to be eligible for off-campus employment students are typically required to have completed one academic year in order to apply for off-campus employment authorization. For more information regarding off-campus employment contact your International Student Advisor.


For employment related questions, contact
Toya Turner at


Green River College
IVD Building
12401 SE 320th Street
Auburn, WA USA 98092-3699

International Programs Main Campus Map