Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate

Honors programs

Advanced Placement (AP)

The Advanced Placement Program is a cooperative educational endeavor between secondary schools and colleges and universities. The program provides motivated high school students with the opportunity to take college-level courses in a high school setting. Students who participate in the program not only gain college-level skills, but in many cases they also earn college credit while they are still in high school. AP courses are taught by high school teachers who follow course guidelines developed and published by the College Board. 

Green River grants credit in a variety of subject areas for students who have obtained a particular score on their College Board Advanced Placement examinations. These exams are given by the Educational Testing Service at locations around the country. Students must submit an official copy of AP scores. Upon evaluation of those scores, the student will be notified by e-mail of acceptable credits. Credit is posted to the student transcript at the time of graduation only.

Grades range from a high of 5 to a low of 1; in most departments, credit and/or placement is awarded for grades of 3 or higher. In some cases, the student must consult the appropriate departmental advisor. See what credits you can get with your AP scores.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

The International Baccalaureate Program is a rigorous pre-college course of study for highly motivated high school students. The comprehensive curriculum is designed to prepare students for liberal arts education at the college-level. It is called "international" because it is available to students in several countries, not because it is in any way an international experience. The International Baccalaureate program is similar to the College Board Advanced Placement program, but differs because IB scores require a test score and a very rigorous class.

Green River College has begun accepting international baccalaureate credit. See what credits you can get with your IB scores.

The easiest way to ensure that the Green River receives your IB transcript is to name Green River College as a recipient when you sign up for IB program exam(s). If you do not name Green River as a recipient when you take your exam, contact the IB Organization to request that an official IB transcript be sent directly to Green River's Enrollment Services department. When you are admitted to the college, you may be eligible for Green River course credit; if so, the courses and credits awarded will be accessible on your degree audit. You will be notified by e-mail of credit awarded.