High School Programs

High School Programs at Green River College

Green River College offers a variety of high school completion programs for all ages. Select from the programs below to find the option that is right for you. If you are an international student go to the International High School Completion site.

GED® Testing

Perfect For: Individuals 16 and older who would prefer testing or who need a credential quickly

The GED® is a high school equivalency test consisting of four subjects: Reasoning Through Language Arts, Mathematical Reasoning, Science, and Social Studies. Green River College is a GED® testing site and provides test preparation courses for those who would benefit from additional study in one or more subject areas. Each GED® test is $30 and there are discounts for retesting. Schedule to take all four subject tests in one day or over several testing days.

Learn More About GED® Testing

High School Completion

Perfect For: Students 19 and older

Complete your high school diploma and earn college credit at the same time. Students 19 and older may be eligible for a tuition waiver.

Students may earn GRC credits to complete their high school diploma. Prior high school credits will be considered. Students can take college level and pre-college level classes to complete their high school diploma.

  • Students must earn 19 or 20 or 24 High School Credits (95-120 GRC credits) based on the year they entered into high school.
  • Students must have met current Washington State assessment tests or state approved alternatives or wait until they are 21 years old for those requirements to be waived.
  • The High School and Beyond Plan is included as part of the HSC curriculum at GRC.

Students who are 16 through 18 years old will be accepted into the program only with a written release from the local high school of the school district where they reside.

Learn More About High School Completion


Perfect For: Students over the age of 21

Students over the age of 21 can choose from a variety of ways to earn a high school diploma in the Transitional Studies program. Prepare for success on the GED® tests, apply credit earned in high school, use life and work experience for high school credits, and/or take high school equivalent courses to complete your diploma.

Learn More About HS21+

Open Doors

Perfect For: 16 - 21 year old students, who have dropped out or are at risk of dropping out of high school

The Open Doors program is for 16-21 year old students, who have dropped out of high school or are at risk of dropping out of high school. We offer academic and personal support for students to complete their high school diploma. Students have the opportunity to prepare for their GED® test and/or earn dual credit (high school and college credit). This program is free for students who meet eligibility requirements.

Learn More About Open Doors

Running Start

Perfect For: Junior or Seniors currently in high school

As a junior or senior in high school you can take college classes at Green River College tuition-free. Classes may apply to both your high school graduation requirements and your college degree. You may attend part-time or full-time, taking classes exclusively at GRC or a mix of classes at your high school and at GRC. Running Start does not cover books, fees, or transportation. A fee waiver and book loan program is available for those who qualify.

Learn More About Running Start

AA Degree Earns High School Diploma

Students may earn their High School Diploma upon completion of an Associate’s degree at Green River College. Students must indicate on the Intent to Graduate form they are seeking both the Associate’s degree and High School Diploma in order to have both credentials posted on their transcript.

According to Washington State SHB 1758 (effective July 2009), individuals who enroll at a community college and complete an associate degree (two-year degree) of any type may also submit a written request and be awarded a high school diploma from the college. The law is retroactive and is valid both before and after the law went into effect. Retroactive: All students who completed an associate degree at the college at any time may request a high school diploma if the graduate is either (a) 21 years and older or (b) has been a Running Start student at any time prior to earning the associate degree.

Students without a high school credential may qualify for financial aid for the following programs through the Ability to Benefit program. Contact an advisor in the Master Achiever Center (MAC) for more information.

Ability to Benefit Approved Pathways

  • Automotive Technology
  • Aviation Technology
    • Fixed Wing
    • Airport Management
    • Air Traffic Control
    • Airline Dispatch
    • Professional Pilot
    • Unmanned Aerial Systems
  • Criminal Justice
  • Carpentry Technology
  • Early Childhood Education
  • Forensic Technology
  • Natural Resources
    • Forestry
    • GIS
    • Park Management
    • Water Quality
    • Wildland Fire
  • Practical Nursing
  • Physical Therapy Assistant
  • Water/Wastewater Technology
  • Machining and Manufacturing
  • Maintenance Mechatronics
  • Medical Office Administration
  • Legal Administrative Assistant
  • Administrative Assistance
  • Accounting (AAA, not DTA)
  • Business, Marketing, & Entrepreneurship
  • Court Reporting
  • Information Technology
  • Occupational Therapy Assistant
  • Welding Technology