Frequently Asked Questions


  • When should I apply?
    It is recommended that you apply a month or more in advance of the quarter you plan to begin your classes. An application must be received, assessment completed and official transcripts evaluated prior to your registration. If you apply late you may have to delay your start until the next quarter.
  • How much will it cost?
    If you are 19 years of age or older and a resident of Washington State, tuition for all credit classes which apply to your program will cost $12 per credit for the first 18 credits. There will be additional technology, special service, class and facilities fees that are paid by all Green River students. You will also be responsible for any class supplies and your books. Books can be priced at Green River's bookstore, The Paper Tree, in the Lindbloom Student Center.
    If you are 18 or younger and a resident of Washington State, you pay full tuition at the same rate as other community college students. Call 253-833-9111, ext. 2500, for current tuition rates.
    If you are NOT a resident of Washington State and are 19 years of age or older, the non-resident part of your tuition is waived and you must pay full resident tuition.
    Tuition waivers may be revoked if academic progress is not maintained
  • Do high school completion classes count towards college or vocational degree credit?
    If your English, reading and math skills are at a high enough level, you may take 100 level classes instead of high school level classes. College or vocational credit classes may be used to meet high school requirements. These classes would count for both your high school diploma and your college transfer or professional and technical degree
  • What is the difference between a GED® and a high school diploma?
    The GED® exam is a series of five tests in the following subjects: Writing Skills, Social Studies, Science, Interpreting Literature, and Mathematics.

    A high school diploma is granted only after high school course work has been completed and the required credits earned. You can talk to an Advisor about the best decision for you.

  • If I have a GED® can I still obtain a high school diploma?
    Yes. Contact an Advisor.

  • What if I were home-schooled?
    You must submit a notarized letter from the person who provided the instruction stating that you were home-schooled. Work completed through home-schooling does not meet high school diploma requirements. All credits applied toward a diploma must be earned from a recognized high school or other accredited institution.

  • How does my age effect my participation?
    If you are 19 or older there are no restrictions on your participation. If you are 16, 17 or 18 years of age you need a completed Green River High School Release form from your local high school, even if you did not attend classes there. Green River does not admit students under the age of 16. If you are not enrolled in a high school, complete the following steps.

If age 16, 17, or 18, submit a completed high school release form from the high school you would normally be attending. This is a Green River form that high schools typically have. A letter from school district personnel on official school stationary can be substituted.

Complete a Green River application form. Contact Enrollment Services, 253-833-9111, ext. 2500.
Complete Green River's placement assessment. Call the Assessment Center for information, 253-833-9111, ext. 2650.

Submit official copies of all high school transcripts in an envelope sealed by the high school for evaluation.
Make an appointment with Phil Smith to review your credits prior to the start of the quarter, 253-833-9111, ext. 2641.

If you are enrolled in high school and want to receive your diploma from that high school, complete the following steps.

Submit a completed high school release form from your high school. Green River supplies these forms to the high schools. This form MUST specify the classes you may take at Green River. You are responsible for providing proof that all prerequisites for classes you plan to take have been met. This must be provided prior to registration. This form must be completed for each quarter that you register for classes that apply to your diploma.

Complete a Green River application for admission form. Contact Enrollment Services, 253-833-9111, ext. 2500. This only needs to be done prior to your first quarter at Green River.

Complete Green River's placement assessment. Call the Assessment Center for information, 253-833-9111, ext. 2650.

Meet with an Advisor. Call 253-833-9111, ext. 2641 to schedule an appointment.

Hours of Operation

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. 
Saturday- Sunday

View Closures & Special Hours

Contact Us

If you have questions about our classes or want more information on how to register, please visit us on Green River's Main Campus in the Student Affairs building, SA-270. Green River’s main campus is located at 12401 SE 320th Street, Auburn, WA, 98092.

You can also email us

Use any of the numbers below to call us:

  • 253-351-6680
  • 253-931-6550